How much vitamin d supplement should I give my two year old duck?

Jul 7, 2023
We recently bought a Jamieson vitamin D3 (400 iu) supplement for my duck. She’s two years old and has a vitamin d deficiency.
We don’t go outside often, but I’ve been opening the curtains for her in the morning for her to get some sunshine. I was wondering how much I should feed her this everyday?

Does anyone know?
Please let me know if possible and note whether you’re certain or not it’s safe. Thank you!

I'd be inclined to give my duck foods that contain Vit D, like egg yolks, salmon, tuna rather than try to figure out how much of a human supplement to give. I would be concerned about the duck getting too much and impacting calcium regulation.

Windows block the UVB rays needed to produce vitamin D. Maybe try a UVB light made for reptiles for short periods every day if you can't put the duck outside.

I'd be inclined to give my duck foods that contain Vit D, like egg yolks, salmon, tuna rather than try to figure out how much of a human supplement to give. I would be concerned about the duck getting too much and impacting calcium regulation.

Windows block the UVB rays needed to produce vitamin D. Maybe try a UVB light made for reptiles for short periods every day if you can't put the duck outside.
We do try to give her foods that contain vitamin d and we regularly feed her eggs, but she’s not able to eat much seafood due to a condition she has. She has gout and seafood tends to trigger it, which is why we avoid giving her salmon and tuna nowadays.

We’ll buy a UVB light and place it at home soon, but in the meantime, we want to try giving her supplements. She’s been taking human vitamin a and calcium tablets (recommend by a bird vet). She has been taking them for over three months and she’s been reacting fine, so I’m not too concerned about giving her human supplements, as long as it’s in the right amount.

Do you by any chance know how much I should give her?
I’ve seen that the recommended dosage is 200 uv per day, but I’m worried that may be too much.

Sorry, I have no idea about a duck's dosage. I don't know what 200 uv of Vit D is, but 200 IU per day seems pretty high to me. Best source to ask for clarity is your avian vet.

Back
Top Bottom