Should I still give my ducklings fortified nutritional yeast if I'm giving them Durvet liquid vitamin B complex?

If you can get a better picture of them looking at them without the cover that would help not sure if they are all Pekin or what they may be, do they stand erect or stand like most ducks? If they are Pekin then giving them Nutritional yeast all their lives would be best since they grow so fast and can come down with niacin deficiency at any age. If another breed then by 12 weeks you can stop if you want.
Most on here recommend a feed for waterfowl but some of us can't get it. I have always used chick starter /grower and kept mine on it until around 18 weeks then switched them to layer. All flock is another good one to use if you have drakes in the mix. My drakes have never had a problem eating layer I do mix in some scratch to cut back on the calcium they are getting and make sure my girls always have oyster shells available in a separate container to their feed.
I'd say they still need heat at 2 weeks if your temps are getting into the 40's at night they should have temps around 80* so best to wait on putting them out on chilly mornings especially if there is a chance they can get wet along with chilly temps. By 3 weeks they can handle 75 and then each week after 5* lower.
It's nice you have 3 ponds but just remember there will be predators flying and lurking on the ground so make sure you put them up at night and I hope you have an LGD for their protection. and plenty of places to run under if there is a threat from the sky.

If you can get a better picture of them looking at them without the cover that would help not sure if they are all Pekin or what they may be, do they stand erect or stand like most ducks? If they are Pekin then giving them Nutritional yeast all their lives would be best since they grow so fast and can come down with niacin deficiency at any age. If another breed then by 12 weeks you can stop if you want.
Most on here recommend a feed for waterfowl but some of us can't get it. I have always used chick starter /grower and kept mine on it until around 18 weeks then switched them to layer. All flock is another good one to use if you have drakes in the mix. My drakes have never had a problem eating layer I do mix in some scratch to cut back on the calcium they are getting and make sure my girls always have oyster shells available in a separate container to their feed.
I'd say they still need heat at 2 weeks if your temps are getting into the 40's at night they should have temps around 80* so best to wait on putting them out on chilly mornings especially if there is a chance they can get wet along with chilly temps. By 3 weeks they can handle 75 and then each week after 5* lower.
It's nice you have 3 ponds but just remember there will be predators flying and lurking on the ground so make sure you put them up at night and I hope you have an LGD for their protection. and plenty of places to run under if there is a threat from the sky.
Thank you again for this very much need info. I need a little bit of clarification please.. what do you mean by "scratch" and "layer"? Is that the name of the type of food? I have them on Dumor 20% chick starter grower. TSC didn't tell me anything else, just told me I needed to feed them this. That was it. My son did go buy this. Do they need it? I'm going to go to TSC today to see exactly what you are explaining to me. I REALLY appreciate your help!!

Attachments

• 17112127209931746403952764959963.jpg
    17112127209931746403952764959963.jpg
    499.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 17112128262328289400694188689297.jpg
    17112128262328289400694188689297.jpg
    435.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 17112128618493503325480079118427.jpg
    17112128618493503325480079118427.jpg
    325.3 KB · Views: 4
They need chick grit save the one your son bought for when they are older.
20% Dumor is fine since that is what you have. As they get on up to laying age they will either need to go to Layer with oyster shell on the side or after they finish this bag of chick starter feed then switch them to an all flock but I would keep them on crumble until they are around 5 weeks old since pellets are harder to eat. Or you can keep them on crumble up to you. Scratch is a treat for them. I use it just to cut the calcium in the layer for my drakes and rooster this is the only time mine get it. If I could find a All flock in a Non GMO I would switch my whole flock to an All flock
Your grit says for adult birds.

Last edited:
There are quite a few breeds that are all yellow Pekin,White layer,Fawn and White Runners,Buffs I’d like to see them standing up. You may have Fawn and White Runners in the mix Runners stand erect even when young like yours . Looks like they are growing out of their brooder. For the dumor chick starter just add 1 Tablespoon of Nutritional yeast to each cup of feed you offer them

Last edited:
There are quite a few breeds that are all yellow Pekin,White layer,Fawn and White Runners,Buffs I’d like to see them standing up. You may have Fawn and White Runners in the mix Runners stand erect even when young like yours . Looks like they are growing out of their brooder. For the dumor chick starter just add 1 Tablespoon to each cup of feed you offer them
Oh my goodness thank you for the quick response. I will go get the chick grit. As you see we have no idea what we are doing, but we sure are trying hard to learn fast. Dumb me bought them on a whim because I fell in love with them. I should had prepared more before I got them but the guy at TSC said I didn't need to do that. Hindsight, now I know, but I'm learning from reading from so many of you. Thank you again so much for answering me so fast. You are wonderful!!!!

Let me get some pics of them standing up. Sometimes they are erect standing tall, but most of the time they stand like a duck, lol.

Btw- my son said they didn't have grit fir chick's at TSC. They don't carry it. So I will have to order it on Amazon. We live in very rural country and don't have aot of Storrs out here. I may go to the TSC and another feed store in Blanco, Tx and see if they have it. Do I need to get oyster shell if they have it too for later. My son said TSC did have layer feed, now whether they have the brand you recommended I don't know. I will go see later this afternoon. Thank you so much again!

Oh my goodness thank you for the quick response. I will go get the chick grit. As you see we have no idea what we are doing, but we sure are trying hard to learn fast. Dumb me bought them on a whim because I fell in love with them. I should had prepared more before I got them but the guy at TSC said I didn't need to do that. Hindsight, now I know, but I'm learning from reading from so many of you. Thank you again so much for answering me so fast. You are wonderful!!!!

Let me get some pics of them standing up. Sometimes they are erect standing tall, but most of the time they stand like a duck, lol.

Btw- my son said they didn't have grit fir chick's at TSC. They don't carry it. So I will have to order it on Amazon. We live in very rural country and don't have aot of Storrs out here. I may go to the TSC and another feed store in Blanco, Tx and see if they have it. Do I need to get oyster shell if they have it too for later. My son said TSC did have layer feed, now whether they have the brand you recommended I don't know. I will go see later this afternoon. Thank you so much again!
No hurry on the layer that will be much later like 18-20 weeks old oyster shell is for later also.
They do need grit if you are feeding them anything besides their chick starter. I am surprised TSC doesn't carry chick grit. the other grit is too big for 2 weeks old ducklings

No hurry on the layer that will be much later like 18-20 weeks old oyster shell is for later also.
They do need grit if you are feeding them anything besides their chick starter. I am surprised TSC doesn't carry chick grit. the other grit is too big for 2 weeks old ducklings
Thank you this was good to know. And I went to TSC today and they don't carry it. Thank you for all your help! ❤️

Back
Top Bottom