Should I still give my ducklings fortified nutritional yeast if I'm giving them Durvet liquid vitamin B complex?

Nov 22, 2023
Northeast Florida
Hello all! I searched the forum first, but couldn't find the info I'm looking for.

I was giving Braggs nutritional yeast (35mg niacin per 2 Tblsp) to my ducklings since I got them at 2 days old. I would sprinkle about a tablespoon over every feed, about 3-4 times per day.

Then my jumbo Pekin, Mae, injured her leg so I bought the liquid Durvet high level vitamin B complex. I administer this ONCE PER DAY by drawing up 2mL/cc and mixing it with about 1 cup of diced salad greens and 1/4 to 1/2 cup peas, which I then cover in filtered water (note: their salad is always given in a bowl of water, probably about 1.5 cups of water).

So up until a few days ago, they were getting Braggs nutritional yeast AND the Durvet high level vitamin B complex.

Then I ran out of Braggs. My question for y'all experienced duckling raisers is...do I need to get more Braggs to give along with the liquid vitamin B complex? Or is the liquid vitamin B complex sufficient to prevent niacin deficiency, even for my Pekin?

I should also mention that they eat Nature's Best Organic Duck Crumbles (18% protein with an added niacin supplement, though I don't know how much niacin is in it because it's not listed on their website). I do plan to switch to a different organic feed when they run out of the Nature's Best because my local TSC doesn't sell the big bag and this stuff is expensive.

Would love to hear y'all's thoughts on this! Thank you. 🥰 🥰

the first 2 months i give nutritional yeast all the time ( 1 Tb per cup of feed)
after that i only give it twice a week
the liquid b complex for your pekin hopefully helped her leg? she’s the only one who needs the liquid b complex. did you give it to her for ten days? after that just once, or maybe twice a week for just her to get the liquid b . , depending on how she is doing.
i have a 5 year old pekin who has a little trouble walking so i give her some liquid b once or twice a week.
most of my ducks are 8 years old and i have a few that are almost 1 year old, i add braggs to their feed twice a week.
i feed them nutrena nature wise all flock pellets ( because my chickens eat from it too ) and also twice a day i give them mazuri waterfowl feed on their water buckets and they always run over and gobble it all up 🥰

I probably do over kill becasue mine get Nutritional yeast every day mixed into the feed. when they are tiny they get the B complex in their water one day and nutritional yeast over their feed then the next day they get Poultry cell in their water I switch back and forth with these 2 until 2 weeks old. Because they were shipped I felt they needed it since in 2019 I lost 2 Runner ducklings to shipping stress and did not want that to happen again. Even as adults mine still get Nutritional yeast in their feed. I buy 10lbs at a time with 21 waterfowl and 11 chickens.

I probably do over kill becasue mine get Nutritional yeast every day mixed into the feed. when they are tiny they get the B complex in their water one day and nutritional yeast over their feed then the next day they get Poultry cell in their water I switch back and forth with these 2 until 2 weeks old. Because they were shipped I felt they needed it since in 2019 I lost 2 Runner ducklings to shipping stress and did not want that to happen again. Even as adults mine still get Nutritional yeast in their feed. I buy 10lbs at a time with 21 waterfowl and 11 chickens.
Would you mind sharing where you order your nutritional yeast? Buying Braggs by the tiny jar is not cost effective, lol.

the first 2 months i give nutritional yeast all the time ( 1 Tb per cup of feed)
after that i only give it twice a week
the liquid b complex for your pekin hopefully helped her leg? she’s the only one who needs the liquid b complex. did you give it to her for ten days? after that just once, or maybe twice a week for just her to get the liquid b . , depending on how she is doing.
i have a 5 year old pekin who has a little trouble walking so i give her some liquid b once or twice a week.
most of my ducks are 8 years old and i have a few that are almost 1 year old, i add braggs to their feed twice a week.
i feed them nutrena nature wise all flock pellets ( because my chickens eat from it too ) and also twice a day i give them mazuri waterfowl feed on their water buckets and they always run over and gobble it all up 🥰
This is helpful--thank you! :)

What brand of nutritional yeast do you buy and where did you get it please? I'm a brand new ducklings owner to 11 baby ducklings. Don't know the breed. TSC said they were mixed breeds and I'm guessing they are now about 2 weeks old. They didn't tell me anything about adding yeast to their diet. I don't want leg problems so if you can help me I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

I buy 10lbs at a time since I have 21 waterfowl I buy off of Ebay NOW is the brand but I am sure there are other brands out there too.
@Honeybunny_3 if you post pictures we'll try our best to tell you what breed of ducks you have
:welcome
Thank you so much Miss Lydia! I bought 11 lbs, a bag and a container to putl nutritional yeast in of Now off Amazon. Since I didn't know I bought 10 lbs brewer yeast too, but I can give that to my dogs. I also bought Red Mills nutritional yeast because it had a higher niacin content. I'm going to give them that first. I bought 2 4 lb containers I think. It was expensive though. Once it's gone how long do I need to supplement them with nutritional yeast? Is this a life long thing because this stuff, all of it was expensive? I sure hope not as TSC did nit tell me sny of this and just sold me a 50 lb bag of Dumor 20% chick starter grower. That's it! I have gone back and bought grit for them too as I read on here they need it too. I am also giving them fresh carrot, turnip and collard greens from the (organic) garden and float this concoction in their water. They love it.

They are so cute. I bought all 11 of them, lol. I have 3 ponds on my property for them to enjoy themselves in when they are grown up. For now we are keeping them in this temporary coop during sunny days outside. What is the coolest temp they can tolerate outside and do I still need a heat lamp on them at night? They seem to get too hot with it on now, so I'm not using it, but my 22 yo son thinks I should be. I'm in the Hill Country of South Texas but our nights go into the low 40°s right now. Can they be outside in that temp in the morning? I'm guessing no. The coop will come in this week thank goodness! They are NEVER alone in this coop and are usually outside about 2 hours in the sunny afternoons but I would like to put them out in the morning while I'm in my garden. Thank you for your help ! ❤️

Attachments

• 20240316_145951.jpg
    20240316_145951.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom