How much Vitamin B complex should I give my duck?

Epi_03

In the Brooder
Jun 15, 2022
Hi! So i have Vitamin B complex intended for human use.

I plan to use it for my duck (1) and she's only more or less a month old.

How much should I give her?
IMG_20220623_085407.jpg

Ducks need extra Niacin (as compared to chickens). Niacin is B3. If I'm reading that label correctly, there is no B3 in it.
Oh! Okay 😊 I'll look for ones with B3- thank you!

In any case after I do buy , how much of 1 pill should I give her?

This is a good reference I keep handy. It suggests niacin levels well above what I offered above. Its very difficult to overdose. I offers about 12.5 mg/day/duck to my juveniles, plus whatever is in the feed I use. One of these days, I'll write the mill and ask them. I raise pekins, some of the niacin-neediest of the breeds, but have not needed to add tablespoon after tablespoon of nutritional yeast (yet - i've not hatched many ducks), or I'd just buy a bottle of Niacin suppliment for humans and use it.

This is a good read, talking about various studies - but on niacin offers recommends from 40mg to 90 mg! This is from the NC state extenion - note its mg/lb, not mg/kg - which helps explain the big seeming difference in the recommends. and this is from Metzer farms, once again, mg/kg feed.

In any event, good luck, hope those references help. I try not to weigh in too much on Duck nutrition, there's a lot of isagreement in the literature, and I don't consider my personal experience to constitute data. After just over two years, its barely more than anecdote.

Last edited:
This is a good reference I keep handy. It suggests niacin levels well above what I offered above. Its very difficult to overdose. I offers about 12.5 mg/day/duck to my juveniles, plus whatever is in the feed I use. One of these days, I'll write the mill and ask them. I raise pekins, some of the niacin-neediest of the breeds, but have not needed to add tablespoon after tablespoon of nutritional yeast (yet - i've not hatched many ducks), or I'd just buy a bottle of Niacin suppliment for humans and use it.

This is a good read, talking about various studies - but on niacin offers recommends from 40mg to 90 mg! This is from the NC state extenion - note its mg/lb, not mg/kg - which helps explain the big seeming difference in the recommends. and this is from Metzer farms, once again, mg/kg feed.

In any event, good luck, hope those references help. I try not to weigh in too much on Duck nutrition, there's a lot of isagreement in the literature, and I don't consider my personal experience to constitute data. After just over two years, its barely more than anecdote.

Thank you so much! This is a big help to me-thank you thank you very much!

Hi! Do you think I should purchase this? I was also planning to buy DE earth (?) they say to mix in the feed?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220623_230731.jpg
    Screenshot_20220623_230731.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom