I need help!

Tfunny

In the Brooder
Oct 12, 2023
Ok, we’ve had our ducks for… 2 months now. They eat feed, plus they get both brewers yeast and a niacin supplement on top of that in their water and food. I’m at my wits end with one of my precious babies 😞

Now we learned about the niacin when they were about 5 weeks old we noticed two of them were starting to bow their legs and I found out why and since then.. they have been on niacin. It fixed on ducks feeties no problem, she’s still a little cross legged but she doesn’t have an issues . My other duck 😞 it’s almost like her legs.. or hips? Maybe.. are misshapen? Like her hips? Stick out, her feet cross and she is not eating as much, not that she won’t eat it’s that she has a hard time getting around.. and I can’t believe it’s niacin at this point theyve been on it for weeks, i dont know how to help her. It’s like now, she can manage her feet but can’t lift her body? To walk… i dont know what to do. Like it sounds silly but it’s almost like if I strapped her to a roller blade.. she would use her feet and wheel herself around. I dont know how to help, she is the sweetest thing. Sometimes she gets stuck leaning forward and has to use her beak to push herself back onto her legs. Please help me I do not want to lose her she is a fighter!

This is Waddles, and these are her/their supplements

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    358.5 KB · Views: 18
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    421.3 KB · Views: 21
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    484.9 KB · Views: 18
Brewers yeast will not fix a niacin issue
It can help to prevent it but only if given properly
Adding anything to water dilutes it abc can cause them not to get a proper dose
I myself use nutritional yeast
1tbs to 1 cup feed until 12 weeks. Then I sprinkle it on feed a few times week after 12 weeks
Because they have shown issues I would get durvet vitamin B complex
Give 1ml orally or on a small treat so you know they got the full dose
Improvements can take weeks to start to show
After the duck has fully recovered you continue for one more week
It says for cattle but works amazing for ducks with niacin issues
Most TS shops carry it or it can be ordered on Amazon or from durvet directly
Many give up to soon when they don’t see improvements
Please be patient

Brewers yeast will not fix a niacin issue
It can help to prevent it but only if given properly
Adding anything to water dilutes it abc can cause them not to get a proper dose
I myself use nutritional yeast
1tbs to 1 cup feed until 12 weeks. Then I sprinkle it on feed a few times week after 12 weeks
Because they have shown issues I would get durvet vitamin B complex
Give 1ml orally or on a small treat so you know they got the full dose
Improvements can take weeks to start to show
After the duck has fully recovered you continue for one more week
It says for cattle but works amazing for ducks with niacin issues
Most TS shops carry it or it can be ordered on Amazon or from durvet directly
Many give up to soon when they don’t see improvements
Please be patient
Ok I just ordered that on Amazon it won’t here until Sunday. I’ll try a syringe full of niacin water until it gets here. It breaks my heart seeing her like this.. I just.. it helped the other baby i dont know why it’s not helping this one 😞

I was going to suggest the Durvet’s too. I have had success with it. I would also encourage swim therapy. The more time she spends in water the less the strain on her legs. I have taken mine in the house for bathtub time or locked them in a small cage (3x4) with a small tub of water which is easy to get in and out of.

I was going to suggest the Durvet’s too. I have had success with it. I would also encourage swim therapy. The more time she spends in water the less the strain on her legs. I have taken mine in the house for bathtub time or locked them in a small cage (3x4) with a small tub of water which is easy to get in and out of.
I figured swim was better, she vibes in her baby bathtub . The problem is I work during the day and I cannot monitor the bath time

Ok I just ordered that on Amazon it won’t here until Sunday. I’ll try a syringe full of niacin water until it gets here. It breaks my heart seeing her like this.. I just.. it helped the other baby i dont know why it’s not helping this one 😞
I’m so glad you were able yo get some
Some babies just need more then others
We don’t know why
They can be full siblings and one will not need any extra niacin and the next will need the treatment
I personally start my babies on nutritional yeast day 1 just to be safe
They may not need it but I don’t chance it either
Their body will only take in what it needs and the rest of it will come out so you are safe giving it
I keep a bottle on hand at all times In case
I also use it when I have one that’s got any leg issue ( even a slight sprain ). Just seems to help them recover better

This is Waddles, and these are her/their supplements
reading your post and seeing the picture of waddles makes me really thing you have the same issue we had with our duck Stanley. when she was a duckling her feet were crossed over, and her hips seemed to stick out. as she got older, it got harder and harder for her to hold herself up, and she got lower and lower to the ground. She eventually wasnt able to walk on her feet anymore. she would use her wings and beak to get around. it was breaking our heart. we supplements niacin and liquid b complex as soon as we noticed her feet were crossing on top of each other and her hips sticking out. She absolutely loved swimming, but eventually she stopped preening herself, so her waterproofing wore off. as she was swimming in the water, she was getting water logged and started to sink, so she would only be able to swim for like 3 minutes supervised. We took her to the vet to get her checked because we became hopeless. The vet said there was no way to know if it was a niacin deficiency or if she had other health issues internally that we couldnt see. She suggested splints or putting her down. we didnt want to lose her and we were assured she wasnt in any pain, so we did everything we could for her. we spent soo much time with her. We were recommended to try splinting her, so we did. splinted her day and night giving her water therapy, but nothing seemed to help. we eventually decided it was time to make a wheelchair for her. we measured everything out for her, bought everything, and when we were starting to put the wheel chair wheels together stanley started acting strange. her body was doing weird movement, and sadly stanley had passed away. She was the sweetest duck, and we just know we did everything we could and we got her for a reason and we gave her the best life we could. She was only about 4 months old when she passed, but we are convince she had some internal health issues, probably genetics. i hope this story helps a little bit, and if you have questions i can try to help you with what we did for our stanley girl.

Back
Top Bottom