Does anyone have problems hatching Silkies ?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BackSwampGirl, Jan 13, 2009.

1. BackSwampGirl

BackSwampGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2008
    Richlands,NC 28574
    It seems like they have a bad time getting out.Any suggestions on what I am doing wrong.Sandra

2. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    That's just how silkies are ..well in my opinion anyway.

my first time hatching silkies i had a few that had a hard time getting out and i also had one that didn't hatch until day 25!

i think silkie chicks are more fragile like Serama chicks.

3. BackSwampGirl

BackSwampGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2008
    Richlands,NC 28574
    [​IMG] I do too.They are so danty and so sweet.I guess it is best to try to let them get out by their own self.But the wait is something else.[​IMG]

4. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    What day are you on day 21?

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    There was another post about it that said silkies with vaulted skulls have a hard time zipping the shell. So I would say if they are pipped for more than 12-24 hours with no progress, you should probably try and help them out a little at a time.

6. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    My first and only attempt so far at hatching silkie chicks (pures and crosses) they all made it to hatching, but none hatched or pipped I was so devistated. I helped one, and it got all fluffy and cute and then died in my hands. I cried like a blubbering baby. I"m going to be attemptin silkies for a second time here soon though [​IMG]!!!!

7. Tripp

Tripp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2008
    Munford, TN
    Thanks for the information I got 4 eggs off my solid white silkies and 3 of the 4 test eggs I got in the bator are growing very good I only had one that ended up being no good I will be sure to watch the chicks very close on hatching day!!!

Thank You

Tripp

8. bloomnbeauty

bloomnbeauty Delux Cluxs

Sep 16, 2008
    N Florida
    I tried twice to hatch silkies. Both times with shipped eggs. I got one lone chick out of the last clutch and none out of the first one. The one I did get was deformed and died just a few days after birth. I decided that it wasn't worth the pain of losing all those chicks. I ordered my 25 from a hatchery and haven't lost any. They will be laying soon and I plan to try with my own eggs to see if any hatch.

9. Griffox

Griffox Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    Harrodsburg, KY
    Quote:[​IMG] SWEET!?? You only think they're sweet... [​IMG]

*typed with silkie chick on lap* [​IMG]

10. spencer creek

spencer creek Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2008
    I just hatched four this weekend and it went on for 3 days. 2 of mine pipped and it almost took both of them 24 hours to get all of the way out. The 2 that took so long have huge skulls, as the post before mentioned. All of them came all the way out at night when it was dark also. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by