Does Anyone Have Sinus Problems?

Lunachick

Chicken Slave
12 Years
Mar 19, 2007
Brick, NJ
I figured I'd check here with you friendly folks before I google it. My daughter has serious issues with her sinus.

She's had pneumonia twice as a toddler. Allergies and shots til she was 15. She was good for awhile, now she's suffering - like she has a cement block in her sinus. :eek:

I'm trying the Neti pot ritual, but not sure of the ratio of warm water and salt, does anyone know?

She is desperate, and wants surgery, I don't want her to do that unless it's absolutely necessary. Yikes, any ideas?

She might really benefit from the surgery, honestly. It's NOT a fun process, but my DH had it a few years ago and it made a HUGE difference.

He had a severly 'deviated septum'. I've known him since we were 15 and had NEVER heard him breathe through his nose.

He can breathe now! It's wonderful. He just wishes he'd had it a lot sooner.

He also had chronic strep infection (was a carrier) that caused no end of troubles for the whole family, as well as himself with kidney problems/nephritis, etc.

Had those tonsils removed at the same time and it was a miracle cure.

I'm not into 'jumping' too quickly into using medications or surgery, but sometimes when used judiciously they can really make a huge difference in quality of life.

Thanks for your reply arlee, my brother had the surgery, but he lost his sense of smell and taste! My daughter agrues that she can't smell or taste now, so what's the difference?

She has a point.

I did a version of the Neti pot thing last year...Neil Med. I'm not sure if the salt is "special" or not. It looks to be somewhere between 1/2 teaspoon and 3/4 teaspoon? It comes in a packet, so it's hard to say without ripping it open and measuring. Mix that with 8 oz of water, but make sure the water is no warmer than your skin. In fact, err on the cool side otherwise it may give a burning sensation.

Also, if the sinuses are completely blocked, I would not recommend doing a sinus irrigation (neti, or neilmed). The water may go up, but may not come down.

I've been on nasal steroids for many years now. Seeing good doctors has helped a lot. I imagine your daughter has significant scarring in her sinuses...If surgery would help, I'd go for it.

P.S. If you've never done a sinus irrigation, be forewarned! The stuff that comes out can be shocking!

Last edited:
Mine get really bad at certain times of year. I take zyrtec D all year and it works wonderfully. Every now and then I have to do a sutafed at the end of the day but not often. I did the steriods before as 3 peeps, it really helped get the ball going, but I did'nt need them after the Zyrtec D kicked in.

I was told by a very experienced ENT that I needed surgery and it was the only thing that would help. Well i wanted a second opinion and I can say it was the best thing I ever did. No surgery and I can breathe great now. good luck

IMO only do surgery as a LAST option.

Off subject...Lunachick I love your avatar. Is that artwork from the movie Amelie?

Well, I had surgery last Nov and I would never do it again. I don't sound the same and had a hemorrahge that landed me in the Hosp six weeks later. I have three sisters that had it prior to me and did fine but they still have sinus problems. We all seem to keep infection free if we rinse with the Neil Med daily and use our Flonase

Oh poor baby, I also had sinus, adenoids everything!
I did have surgery twice and it really helped.
I still get it now but ive learnt to deal with it.

Just watch any pollen type flowers and shrubs close to her bedroom window, they can stir it up.
I was a florist however I had to stop because of the pollens.
Good luck with it.

Thank you all for your helpful replies! Where do I get Neil Med? Healthfood Store? I think flonase is available in the grocery store.

3Peeps - I didn't see that movie, I got the picture from an art gallery site, I forgot the artist's name tho. It's called "Fowl with Pearls" I believe it's a pea hen.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom