Does anyone have Splash Rocks?

RAREROO

Crowing
13 Years
Jul 22, 2009
Alapaha, Ga
I was originally planning on getting BBS Orps. but now I think I have decided to get BBS Rocks instead. What do think I should do? Rocks or Orps, based on laying ability? If I decide to do this I will get eggs that will be Blue and Black from halo, but she won't have any splash unless she crossed her splash roo with the blue hens, but that would give the blues that are produced incorrect light colored hackles. And I don't want to wait and cross blue to blue to get splash and I need some of them so I can do some experimental breeding. So what I am wanting is someone that has Splash Rocks preferably from halo, that has eggs from a splash X splash cross that will produce 100% Splash Rocks, no light colored blues. I'm not wanting them right now, but I would like to see if anyone has any for a little later. I am also looking for breeder quality Partridge Rock eggs. If I could get them with the Splash Rock eggs, that would be even better.

I would also appreciate any pics of Splash Rocks or Partridge Rocks.

Thanks.

I had some bbs rocks, but I sold them. They were nice birds...I just decided to go with my bbs orps and bbs wyandottes instead. My rocks started laying earlier and had very good fertility.

Here's some pictures of the ones I had when they were still fairly young.
cea3a1ec.jpg
d409d49f.jpg
0a1f747f.jpg
00422f64.jpg

I have a splash Rock hen & 2 gorgeous Blue rock roos from Halo's eggs. The post office scrambled the eggs & those were the only 3 I was able to hatch.
I will be crossing my blue roos on my one splash hen & 2 of my Maran hens this spring. I have pics of them in this thread if you search back a bit.

Halo will have pics of splashes too, from her I got two blues pullets and a black cockeral, I loved them. Lost one of the pullets to a dog so have more eggs coming.

The black cockeral looked like a hen until POOF sharp hackle feathers practically overnight. But now he's beginning to crow. He's amazing wide huge and still growing like a weed.

Katy those were really nice birds. That would have made me start in BBS Rocks.

It was not an easy decision deciding what breeds would stay and which would go when I decided that I had to cut back on breeds some. They were very pretty birds. The rocks, the mottled javas, my RIRs and my buff orps were the ones who lost out. Wish I could have kept them all.

Quote:
So you got rid of your mottled Javas too. What was your expericence with them? They will probably be the next breed I get. I know they're not the best layers, but they're a really rare breed and I would like to help preserve them. I would also like to have the black variety, but I also plan to have black Rocks so I don't know if I should get two black breeds. So what were the things you liked or disliked about them?

Back
Top Bottom