Does anyone here sell eggs for eating? ETA: permits?

shiloh04

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jan 15, 2010
I have WAY too many eggs for myself and my hubby to eat, and I have looked into selling the rest, as much to ensure they don't go to waste as to help pay for feed. But I cannot figure out where to advertise. There is no website that I can find to list fresh eggs, like there is for organic beef, pork, etc.

So to anyone who does sell some, where did you find buyers?

ETA: what kinds of permits are required to sell to produce stands, other stores?

Last edited:
I think most people who sell extra eggs tend to start with friends, co-workers, church members, that sort of thing. My wife's co-workers ask her from time to time when she'll be bringing in more eggs and when she does bring them to work, she has no problem selling them. I used to take them to a local bridge game, but there were sometimes hard feelings when I only had one or two dozen and some one got left out -- felt like I should have been holding an auction. Right now I sell my extras to a woman who is trying to get a small community market started. She often resells them at the market, though lately she has been using some of them herself.

If you're in a small town, I bet a notice on the local library's bulletin board would produce some sales.

Anyway, I'd be real surprised if you couldn't sell 4-5 dozen a week through acquaintances.

Well......I sold eggs before I knew what the internet was for.
I sell mine, currently for 3.00 a dozen, but long ago they were 1.00/dozen. Things just cost more now.
I would just put up a simple sign in front of your house or property for a while, until you have enough customers. Most of my customers want anywhere from 5 to 10 dozen at a time.
I am scared to put up a sign now, because I will never satisfy the demand once I do that.
Actually I trade my eggs for other things like deer meat, seafood, wild ducks and favors, as well as sell them.

We have a sign about the size of a license plate that says "Fresh Eggs" at the end of our driveway. That draws some people in, and some neighbors stop by to get eggs every week or two.
Also family members, friends and co-workers keep us pretty much "eggless" at home.
We've actually had to buy store eggs (yuck) when we wanted them for our own personal consumption.

We currently have 34 hens & pullets which lay on the average of 12-22 eggs a day. We are not supplementing their light at all, they're just going like gangbusters now!
smile.png

I've been trying to do this since last year. I think I am just becoming successful at it. I posted on craigslist. I made up a listing on localharvest.org and I also had a sign made. The sign is about the size of a realtor for sale sign and I live on a busy street so I know a lot of people see it but it takes a bit of courage for someone to actually stop and ask for those eggs even if they pass by everyday. So I also put a sign on my gate with pricing and contact info, including email because I know i prefer email to phone calls.

I didn't get many bites with the sign but did get some from CL but only for duck eggs. Once I took the sign down, so it didn't get destroyed by plowed snow drifts, people starting emailing me about them. So I know they saw the sign before but finally decided to stop and look at my info on the gate.

You also have to make sure you price right for your area. People around me won't be $3 per dozen but will pay $2. So I just say $2 if you bring your own carton and people always do. If you have ducks though and you live in the right area, you can make quite a bit off of them. I get more requests for them than chicken eggs.

We have been meaning to get a sign in our front yard. Will put that on my to-do list in the next two weeks.

Unfortunately, I don't work, and hubby works somewhere that he cannot take that many eggs in to co-workers. My in-laws have chickens too, so they don't need more eggs.

Does anyone advertise at feed stores? What about selling to health-food stores or produce stands?

Well I just told my friends and neighbors to spread the word. You could also print flyers (''Farm Fresh Eggs'' attracks alot of people) in like waldens, tracktor supply, ect.
Hope it works out.
smile.png

I was selling mine at work until I retired. I still intend to deliver them there after this winter is over. I have planty of eggs for us now, but will need an outlet soon. I can't sell mine at our farmer's market because I don't have the required permits.

Back
Top Bottom