Does anyone here show Runners?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by EnglishSpot2003, Jun 2, 2011.

1. EnglishSpot2003

EnglishSpot2003 Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2011
    Indiana
    I'm going to be getting some Runners and a Saxony from Holderread's within the next couple of weeks. I'm wanting to take them to a couple of shows in the fall. What is the best way to transport them? And is there anything else I need to know? I showed chickens in 4h 8+ years ago and our show was disorganized to say the least, lol.

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I have just come inside form washing my birds for a show tomorrow. I am soaking wet...cold and dirty..my birds at least are looking good. I have some in the training pens tonight- and others in the cages I will transport them in tomorrow. I try to keep them separated the night before - nothing like waking up and finding one duck has pooped on another during the night.

I use large dog crates to transport my birds. Like this one.. http://www.ozpetshop.com.au/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/288/products_id/3031

The
    crate is large enough for an Indian Runner to stand up- not all the way up like they will in a show cage- but enough to be comfortable. I like these cages as they come with a water container that attaches easily and will not tip or fall over, it is well ventilated - and does not trap heat as ducks can get very hot in enclosed areas. The door way has a lip to stop shavings and hay going straight out as well. When I bought a car last year the main thing I had in mind was something large enough to transport a lot of ducks in comfortably. I can easily fit in 6 of these crates with room around them for airflow, which I feel is very important for them. My ducks are handled regularly and transported to get them used to a car ride before their first show as well.

I try and make the experience positive for them- from the pen training and cleaning- the "pedicures" and moisturizing cream on their legs.. I make sure they get some treats and enjoy being washed and prepared. I make sure i am never stress when I handle my birds- and always speak calmly to them the whole time as well as I believe it helps to keep them calm as well.

Most importantly- enjoy it... Dont be too serious about it all. A judge may not place your bird- but that is just his opinion on that day- ask the judge where your birds can be improved and learn about where your breeding should head towards. A Different judge on a different day may well place your birds better on a different day. God luck- showing can be lots of fun- and a great day out with a group of like minded people with similar interests is always time well spent.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by