Does anyone here take their birds in to be processed?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by moenmitz, Apr 16, 2008.

1. moenmitz

moenmitz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    What do you usually pay to have them done? Hubby wants to do the butchering himself, but he is a cheapskate. I am a wuss that can't bear to kill anything, can't stand the sight of blood, and has no desire to pluck, skin or gut a chicken. I have no problem eating animals, I just have to mentally disassociate myself from what they were. Plus, I have visions of blood and featehrs all over my kitchen, and I don't want to clean it up! So, is it completely impractical to take them in to the locker and have them done there? Will I end up spending as much as if I had just bought the birds from someone else?

2. Chickending

Chickending Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Minnesota
    I take mine in to be processed. I am in Minnesota and it cost me $2 a bird.

3. UncleHoot

UncleHoot Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    St. Johns, Michigan
    I'm in mid-Michigan. I take mine to a local farmer (about 5 miles away), and he charges $2/bird bagged.

I've heard others here say $3 or $4, and I think someone said even more than that. It probably depends on who and where. A deluxe federal/state certified facility is probably going to charge more than, say, a local Amish farmer.

I'm kind of like you, in that it's the thought of "killing" that bothers me. I can shoot and gut a deer with no problem, but if I had to walk up to the deer, and slit its throat as it looked me in the eye, I probaby couldn't do that. [​IMG] Anyway, once the chicken is dead, I don't think I'd have any fears about finishing the processing. Nevertheless, I still think I might try processing a couple on my own some time, just to gain some experience.

4. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    I pay $5 to $7 each depending on size.

5. fullhouse

fullhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    MI
    I would love to find someone too! I think we are in the same boat husband wise. [​IMG]

6. mamaboyd

mamaboyd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2007
    Kendal.Ontario,Canada
    We paid $3 a bird last year, but now the place was sold and we have to find another place or else do it ourselves. [​IMG]

7. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    If you pluck and gut your birds outside and do your cutting up inside there won't be much "guts and feathers" in your kitchen.

8. moenmitz

moenmitz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    well, having the mess outside isn't all that appealing either, gotta say. I mean, what do you DO with a bucket full of chicken heads and entrails? And wouldn't there be bloody featehrs blowing all over the place-with Iowa's heat and humidity, I can just see myself sweaty and sticky with feathers and chicken blood-yecch. Yes, I am a big ole ninny, I know. Well, 2 bucks a bird doesn't sound bad to me-the 3 and 4 dolalr prices I would not want though. Going to do soem checking to see if the lockers around ehre will do it, and what they cahrge, just wanted to ahve a ballpark idea of what was usual going in. Thanks!

9. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Doing it yourself isn't that bid IF you only have to do a few at a time. Just get a 5 gallon bucket lined with paper for the entrails and dump them in that as you go. I butcher on the back porch so it's not that bad. If you don't mind skinned birds, there will hardly be a flying feather to blow away.

10. willheveland

willheveland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    southern tier,NY
    My processor charges $1.50 per bird up to 5 lbs.Then $.35 a lb over.If you want them halved it's $.25 per bird extra.When I pick them up they are bagged and frozen solid.For the job they do and the cost I couldn't heat the water for that.
    He said he had to add the $.35 a lb over when I started bringing the 10 lb cornish roasters to him.
    I am very happy with them,I hope they stay there awhile. Will

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by