Does anyone here take their birds in to be processed?

moenmitz

Songster
11 Years
Apr 15, 2008
What do you usually pay to have them done? Hubby wants to do the butchering himself, but he is a cheapskate. I am a wuss that can't bear to kill anything, can't stand the sight of blood, and has no desire to pluck, skin or gut a chicken. I have no problem eating animals, I just have to mentally disassociate myself from what they were. Plus, I have visions of blood and featehrs all over my kitchen, and I don't want to clean it up! So, is it completely impractical to take them in to the locker and have them done there? Will I end up spending as much as if I had just bought the birds from someone else?

I'm in mid-Michigan. I take mine to a local farmer (about 5 miles away), and he charges $2/bird bagged.

I've heard others here say $3 or $4, and I think someone said even more than that. It probably depends on who and where. A deluxe federal/state certified facility is probably going to charge more than, say, a local Amish farmer.

I'm kind of like you, in that it's the thought of "killing" that bothers me. I can shoot and gut a deer with no problem, but if I had to walk up to the deer, and slit its throat as it looked me in the eye, I probaby couldn't do that.
roll.png
Anyway, once the chicken is dead, I don't think I'd have any fears about finishing the processing. Nevertheless, I still think I might try processing a couple on my own some time, just to gain some experience.

If you pluck and gut your birds outside and do your cutting up inside there won't be much "guts and feathers" in your kitchen.

well, having the mess outside isn't all that appealing either, gotta say. I mean, what do you DO with a bucket full of chicken heads and entrails? And wouldn't there be bloody featehrs blowing all over the place-with Iowa's heat and humidity, I can just see myself sweaty and sticky with feathers and chicken blood-yecch. Yes, I am a big ole ninny, I know. Well, 2 bucks a bird doesn't sound bad to me-the 3 and 4 dolalr prices I would not want though. Going to do soem checking to see if the lockers around ehre will do it, and what they cahrge, just wanted to ahve a ballpark idea of what was usual going in. Thanks!

Doing it yourself isn't that bid IF you only have to do a few at a time. Just get a 5 gallon bucket lined with paper for the entrails and dump them in that as you go. I butcher on the back porch so it's not that bad. If you don't mind skinned birds, there will hardly be a flying feather to blow away.

My processor charges $1.50 per bird up to 5 lbs.Then $.35 a lb over.If you want them halved it's $.25 per bird extra.When I pick them up they are bagged and frozen solid.For the job they do and the cost I couldn't heat the water for that.
He said he had to add the $.35 a lb over when I started bringing the 10 lb cornish roasters to him.
I am very happy with them,I hope they stay there awhile. Will

Back
Top Bottom