Does anyone just use broody hens?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Connorrm, May 7, 2011.

1. Connorrm

Connorrm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Capital District, NY
    Title says it all - also, what breed are the best in broody?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I don't own an incubator, don't want one, have had broodies hatch several sets of chicks. I currently have 3 broodies, 2 EE's (which is unusual) and a Black Australorp (not unusual, but I won't let her hatch eggs because she kills her chicks.) My best broodies were a mutt and my 3 Kraienkoppes, which are all gone now.

There are a number of breeds that sometimes go broody. Henderson's discusses this for each breed. I have 3 Black Australorps, for example, 3+ years old; only one has ever gone broody. Probably the most commonly used breeds for broodies are Silkies and OEGB. I don't really care for either and have never had any -- I don't like the idea of bantams, just my personal prejudice.

My personal favorite by far for a broody is Kraienkoppes. I've had them "group mother" a batch of chicks, including sharing the egg setting. I've had them take over for one another when I lost the primary mother when the chicks were a few days old. They are the tamest chicken I've ever owned. They look a lot like a brown Leghorn but the personality is as opposite as it could be, IME. When not broody they lay a medium sized light brown egg, kinda cream colored. They are large fowl but, like Leghorns, a bit on the small side (well, mine were from Ideal) so their feed consumption is not high. Also they are excellent foragers and find their own food if given the opportunity.

A lot of people have Cochins (I think I'm right on the breed) because they strongly tend to go broody. Here are some links, one to a good broody article, one to Henderson's breed chart:

http://www.themodernhomestead.us/article/Broody-Hens-1.html

http://www.themodernhomestead.us/article/Broody-Hens-1.html

Good luck!

3. BawGock

BawGock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Idaho Panhandle, USA
    I use broodies and bators [​IMG]

Currently I have 3 silkies setting on eggs and 2 BCMs setting on 24 eggs
    And I have 42 eggs in my hovabator, too.

Carolyn

4. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    I don't own an incubator if I get a broody I hatch eggs. I have a barn yard mix right now that is my broody. Last year my bantam EE went broody.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by