does anyone keep cortunix on the ground?

Quote:
Thanks!

is there a way to correct the eggs that were moved? the one chick that was in the egg that i smashed looks full grown. i don't remember it being too wet and the egg membrane or leathery sac seemed dry. it is a dry hatch. ~12% humitidy. i smashed five or so eggs before finding this chick in one. the other eggs might all be bad, but a few might have chicks. heck, the eggs may be past due but not able to break through the egg membrane.

the one chick that hatched is not looking good. the quail were up running around at this length of time post-hatch

the quail hatches have been dry hatch. if there was any development in them they hatched.

i'm thinking to candle the eggs or do a float test at least. but can i move the eggs at all?

Last edited:
only the one PHEASANT (sorry) has made it this far. the other eggs didn't hatch and are trashed.

I've another question about the quail though. i've got ~20 in the oustide breeding pen, shown in above photo. i've two other hatches i'd like to combine while culling all but the largest males. the fewest number of males to fertilize all the eggs is best.

can i combine them?

what is the max number i can have in a 2'x4' breeding pen?

is the way i'm doing this the normal way (keep largest for breeding stock; hatch eggs; grow up in brooder and harvest)?

does anyone have a way to determine sex of full grown mutt cortunix other than sound and checking to see if it lays eggs after they're all laying?

THanks!

Last edited:
So the consensus is, no Cortunix raising on the ground. Period. Is that what MOST are saying?

Anyone have any idea for how to build a simple cage to contain them off the ground. Doesn't have to have a shelter, I can deal with that. My problem is getting a simple cage built. I'll add or make a shelter once I have that first part in my mind.

So the consensus is, no Cortunix raising on the ground. Period. Is that what MOST are saying?

Anyone have any idea for how to build a simple cage to contain them off the ground. Doesn't have to have a shelter, I can deal with that. My problem is getting a simple cage built. I'll add or make a shelter once I have that first part in my mind.

you can make a simple all wire cage with "J" clips,1/2" hardware cloth,some wire cutters and the "J" clip tool .
If you want them for in an outbuilding where they can be hung up or set in a rack type setting. All you do is cut each end and each side to desired size and "J" clip the parts together. Cut out a door and reattach 1 side with 3 "J" clips.
Cutting the wire pieces takes the longest time. Generally, for a 3'L X 2' D X 18" H all wire cage it takes me 1 1/2 hours but it would probably be quicker if i had decent wire cutters.
For a Wooden pen there are many photos of other folks pens on here if you do a search. i make a simple "box"frame on legs (making sure to add cross supports for every 2 -3 feet of length to support the wire .)and cover it with 1/2" hardware cloth all over but the roof which is a sheet of plywood covered with sheet roofing material.

Back
Top Bottom