does anyone keep cortunix on the ground?

rosco

Songster
10 Years
Nov 24, 2009
Texas Panhandle
the cortunix quail are three weeks old. can i move them from the brooder to this coop? does anyone keep cortunix on the ground?

44938_dscf1851.jpg

Thanks!

Last edited:
they have adult feathers.

are cortunix.

they are standing 5" high and are 2.5"-3" wide. i doubt they'd walk through the chicken wire.

daytime temps 80's-90's. night time is 50's for the next two weeks.

my main concern is that a friend said they need to be kept on wire or they'll get sick and die. we could put the brooder outside but not sure if it would be secure against predators.

we'd like to get it out of the garage.

If their going to be outside that chicken wire won't stop a predator,Be a good idea to cover the chicken wire with hardware cloth

Quote:
the chicken wire protected our chickens for two years. zero issues with predators. the chicken wire should be fine

in the sticky listed at the top of this forum topic, "quail," i see some pens with wire bottoms. i also see some pens that use the ground as the bottom. i'm not sure if bobwhites can go on the ground but cortunix must be on wire.

does anyone successfully raise cortunix quail on the ground?

Last edited:
I raise mine in a pen with half inch hard ware cloth on the bottom. Its better for the birds & you. All they do is eat drink & poop.Raising them on wire will save you alot of time as far as cleaning the cage goes. I've read on hear that they get worms if raised on the ground. I'd say as mentioned it depends on the ground. The ground where I live is just like being on the beach so I'm sure I could raise them on the ground. I just hatched some Bob Whites & they will be on the ground. Here's my pen for coturnix I have around 45 in the pen & their doing good thus far. Good Luck 7L
63768_quail_pen_012.jpg

Quote:
worms, yes. i was thinking more along the lines of respiratory diseases. we live in the semi-arid plains but our yard is watered and we've grass. tons of sparrows and starlings fly over. there'd definitely be worms in the soil

1/2"? wow! this would require much less cleaning. but won't this be bad on their feet?

THanks!

Quote:
the chicken wire protected our chickens for two years. zero issues with predators. the chicken wire should be fine

in the sticky listed at the top of this forum topic, "quail," i see some pens with wire bottoms. i also see some pens that use the ground as the bottom. i'm not sure if bobwhites can go on the ground but cortunix must be on wire.

does anyone successfully raise cortunix quail on the ground?

Unfortunately for quail, they don't roost. The chicken wire protected your chickens because they DO roost and probably went in a coop. Coturnix quail do not roost and will most likely sleep right up next to the wire. Hence the need for hardware cloth.

Back
Top Bottom