does anyone know anything about fisher cats?....

fishers (they're actually not "fisher cats", nor even related to cats at all) are very large weasels and are, indeed, hefty predators. i live on the edge of a large wilderness and have seen them not far from our house, on the roads. (we also have black bears, coyotes, foxes, hawks... aw, heck. if it eats pets, we have it.) they can't (or, probably more correctly, won't) tear through strong wire to get at prey. fishers like an easy kill and are more likely to stalk your kitties than your chickens.

i've got a big, dumb yellow lab who keeps all the big bads at bay. she really hates it when the black bear comes snuffling around our deck and will chase him right to the edge of the property.
smile.png

we haven't lost any small furries or featheries to the predators... yet.

as for shooting coyotes (or any other pestilent predator), that's fairly pointless as the territory will just be open for others to move into the niche. it seems more mindful and intelligent to me to do your utmost to safeguard your pets, livestock, and property and accept that we live in a savage garden and are never going to win an out-and-out battle with the toothed and clawed.

as much of a bleeding heart as i am (and i am!), i have to accept that some concessions must be made as a trade-off. i live in a quiet, pristine, beautiful place with land for my horses, goats, and chickens (and children). a chicken or a rabbit or a house cat will be the eventual price for my present tranquility.

Back
Top Bottom