Does anyone know anything about making marshmallows??

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Frozen Feathers, Nov 29, 2007.

1. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    I'm going to try my hand at making some homemade marshmallows. I saw them made on "Iron Chef" and looked up a recipe, they seem pretty easy to make. I wanted to know, though if I could make them flavored by using Jell-O instead of plain gelatin?? I would like to make them Raspberry and strawberry flavored and then dip them in dark chocolate. If anyone knows, I would appreciate any ideas!!

2. skunknchatter

skunknchatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2007
    Northern Utah
    only one way to find out with the flavored jello. The only problem I see is the sugar. But you could go with sugar free jello. It will have an artifical sweetner but it won't be as heavy as sugar would be. I have made marshmallows once and it was an experiance. Sounds like your recipie is easier. I say go for it and try the flavors. Let us know how it works

3. schmoo

schmoo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    West MI.
    What about adding a flavored extract?

4. SeaChick

SeaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
  5. SeaChick

SeaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
  6. CutestChickenFarmer

CutestChickenFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2007
    Delaware
  7. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    I forgot all about this thread, lol. I did some Google-ing and found these 2 recipes, and tried them.

Well, it's not as easy as it looks on Iron Chef!! I tried twice to make the flavored ones and though they tasted pretty good, they weren't fluffy at all, just a mushy mess. I think I didn't beat them long enough. I'm going to try again, maybe today.

The plain ones came out terrible. I didn't have a candy thermometer when I tried making them and was trying to guess when the syrup was at the right temp by dropping a bit in cold water. Well, as it turn out I know how to make taffy now!! That's how sticky they came out. [​IMG]

I went out and purchased a candy thermometer and am going to try again. I didn't realize what a pain in the behind they would be!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by