1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Does anyone know how to DIY allow flys too not invade your backyard??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by farm316, Sep 1, 2014.

1. farm316

farm316 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2014
    We have so many flies! Does anyone know how to get rid of the flies?

2. chickenlover09

chickenlover09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2014
    I use fly tape.

I don't really have a fly problem though. My chickens eat them all, along with mosquitos and crickets.

:)

3. Onlyducks

Onlyducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2014
    They make fly traps that you can find at a farm store. The trap is a water-filled jar with a raised area in the lid that lets the flies go in but
    don't know how to get out. They then drown.

[​IMG]

I have used them frequently with good success. Fly tape will help, but I have not had as much luck with it outdoors as the traps. Inside, as long as you don't run into the strip, they can work reasonable well.

4. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    I use the stinky fly traps. The fill and toss ones from feed stores. They stink so keep them away from the house but work great. I have one that I started last week and it's already going great but it's out by the coop because it smells horrible.

5. Onlyducks

Onlyducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2014
    My fly trap is reusable, but basically the same as what "needless junk" is recommending. I want to say thanks to him for mentioning the stink factor—these I use only away from my house, out by the duck pens themselves.

6. willowbirdks

willowbirdks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2014
    We both hung a fly trap and sprinkled diatomaceous earth around the duck run last week... So far we've had mixed results.

We have these tiny black flies that I've never seen before, and I'm hoping that over time they'll ingest the DE and won't have time to lay the next generation of larvae. I think it might just take a few weeks to break the cycle, or at least that's what I'm hoping.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by