Does anyone know how to tap an underground spring?

georgialee

Songster
10 Years
Apr 9, 2009
Knoxville, TN
While we were clearing/leveling our land to build a barn we realized that we have an underground spring. It is literally coming up through a hole in the ground and is now running down in front of our barn and made a horrible muddy mess. So, my question is does anyone know how to tap it so we can use it for drinking water for our horses & chickens?

You'll need to dig a deep hole with a back hoe or a well drill.

You'll need to put clean rocks & gravel in the bottom and then you'll need a pipe (preferably with a filter on it) at the bottom. Fill it all in with gravel and dirt, fill the pipe with water and attach it to a pump.

Can you tell I've participated in doing this before?

Some folks put in concrete shafts, but that can get messy and you always have to have a pump in the middle running the water out so that it will cure.

thank you! Now I have to figure out if it's worth all that...
tongue.png

If you get the Foxfore book #4 there is a section about springs in there. I read a little of it last night. (I am pretty sure it is book 4 but I will check when i get home ) People used to get ALL their water that way.

Uhm, also look into the legal regulations of your water management district. Some places are so strict they even regulate rain barrel usage.

Back
Top Bottom