1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Does anyone know how?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by chickathon, Dec 20, 2011.

1. chickathon

chickathon Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2011
    West Virginia
    I am going to have alot of chickens to butcher this summer (if everything turns out o.k.). Does anyone have a recipe to show how to can chicken. Whole or in pieces? It doesn't really matter. I don't have anyone to tell me no granny, mom doesn't know. She knows how to can everything else just not that. Any help would be great![​IMG]

2. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
  3. oberhaslikid

oberhaslikid Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2008
    Ohio
    This is how I do mine( I suggest you invest in the Ball Blue book of canning under $10 at Walmart).
    I can either whole pieces i add 3/4 tsp of salt to the jar.I use seasoning salt too,then pack raw pieces into each jar usually like 5 legs.depending on the size.
    Then wipe the rim real good place the ring and cap on and tighten.I dont add any water to the jar the chicken makes its own juice ,place in the pressure canner.fill the canner to 1/3 of the way up the jars with water.place your lid and let it start to heat when the steam starts out your vent on top place your weight on the canner. start timming when it starts to jiggle.90 min for quarts.

I also do deboned chicken. I place all the pieces in a stock pot and cover with water add celery ,onion, seasonings and cook till its done.Take pieces of chicken out of broth just long enough to handle take all the meat off and put back in the broth.
    I then ladel into jars, clean rim and place the cap and ring on.Place in the pressure canner and process.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by