What are you canning now?

Pics

Acre of Blessings

Canning/Sewing Addict
11 Years
Apr 3, 2008
Axton, VA
Yesterday I canned some Mixed Veggies and some Chicken and then I canned the Chicken Broth. I also canned some Green Peas (not pictured). Can't wait to pop the top on these this winter.
smile.png

friends2008002-8.jpg

friends2008001-7.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have done applesauce, apple pie filling, zucchini pickles, corn, and salsa. My Elderberries just got ripe and I will be making jam in the next day or two. My kids are begging to just open them all NOW!!! Unfortunately, they get a complete lack of patience from me and their father both and it shows!!! LOL

When ever you can something, try and take a pic and show it to everyone. There are some on here that are new to canning and it would hepl to see a pic. I read a post on another forum about canning Banana Butter and I had never seen or heard but now I am ready to try it.

All that you have canned sounds so yummy.
smile.png

Quote:
Oh, where! I have been looking for blueberries, but no such luck!

Turner Berry Farm in Caro, MI. Have you tried www.pickyourown.org?

Oh, thank you! I found a spot close with peaches and blueberries!!

Sure.
smile.png

2 1/2 cups sugar
2/3 cup corn starch
1 (heaping) tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 cup lemon juice

Mix dry ingredients in large pot. Add water and lemon juice (I left lemon juice out by accident when I posted this)...ugh....not sure how much....just until it is enough to fill your jars (sorry LOL). cook over medium heat stirring constantly until thick and bubbly. Pour over raw, sliced, peeled, apples in hot jars. Leave 1/2 inch headspace and hot water bath can for 20 min.
smile.png
I think it turns out really good (as far as apple pie goes...I am NOT fond of sweet spices) but everyone else loves it.
smile.png

Oh, I need to add, that only makes about 6 pint jars. You would need more of course if you are making more than that. We just don't use it a lot and it is mostly for topping waffles, etc. so smaller jars work best for us.
smile.png

Last edited:
Greenbeans 12 pts last night and 16 pts friday night. Before I did jams.

Cannedasof8-6-2008.jpg

From left to right: Strawberry/rhubarb sauce, rhubarb sauce, blueberry/rhubarb jam, blackcherry/rhubarb jam, blackberry jam, tripleberry jam, raspberry jam, strawberry jam, watermelon rind pickles, greenbeans.

I had enough of the strawberry/rhubarb jam left from last year so I didn't make any of it. Same with peach jam, plum jam, and pear jam. Applebutter, tomato juice, and beets are yet to come. Corn I freeze.

Last edited:
Quote:
Turner Berry Farm in Caro, MI. Have you tried www.pickyourown.org?

Oh, thank you! I found a spot close with peaches and blueberries!!

Yay! You found something near you! Glad to have helped. Although you may not be thanking me when you're buried in fruit/berries and shackled to the kitchen!!
lol.png

This past week we have canned spiced apricot preserves, tomato marmalade, salsa and sundried tomatoes. I have frozen my peas, corn, some zuchinni and green beans. I'll be making more salsa, more sundried tomatoes and batches of spiced blueberry jam, blackberry jam and plum butter this week.

I don't have images of the produce canned yet but I have a few pictures of the veggies before canning on my webpage. http://www.geocities.com/branndaidhcladdagh/2008canning.html

Back
Top Bottom