What are you canning now?

Pics

Acre of Blessings

Canning/Sewing Addict
11 Years
Apr 3, 2008
Axton, VA
Yesterday I canned some Mixed Veggies and some Chicken and then I canned the Chicken Broth. I also canned some Green Peas (not pictured). Can't wait to pop the top on these this winter.
smile.png

friends2008002-8.jpg

friends2008001-7.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
"The way to a man's heart is through his stomach."
Seems to me if mothers want their daughters to be married they'd teach them to be better cooks. :lol: My wife used to bring me dinner when I worked the night shift BEFORE we got married. Baked chicken and stuffing. Scalloped potatoes and pork chops. A man does his part and a woman does hers. Like a team. One guy throws the football another guy catches it. Can you see it? Both guys run down the field stop and look at each other? "I thought you were gonna pass it", "I thought you were". There goes the ball in the hands of the other team. I remember the pastor saying once. "If they're happy with the way things are keep you nose out". Speaking of folks marriage. That came cuz folks sticking their noses in other peoples marriage. I never can understand why women choose to work two jobs. One outside the home and one inside. Just go into a debate about women doing more housework than her husband even though they both work outside the home. Women spend more time taking care of the kids too. I can't see why a woman wants to put up with all the crp of working outside the home. The boss, stupid co-workers etc. etc. Part time maybe but full time? No way. Most of the guys I worked with at the PO I wouldn't want to be friends with. Use to be a woman sold eggs to get herself some money. I know things change but change isn't always good. DW has worked part time. I expect it's the only reason I'm alive. She used to work for the fabric store and spend it all on fabric to sew for the kids. My girls didn't wear to many store bought dresses when they were little. Being a good Mom is not easy.
Pro 31:10
Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies. Read the entire proverb. It's very good.
Sorry I always say more than I should.
I completely agree with you. My husband and I decided we didn't want some one else raising our kids for us as would have happened with them in day care. We had watched my sister take her son to day care. He was asleep when she dropped him off and asleep when she picked him up again. My mother worked full time my entire life. I got myself up, fed myself breakfast, and got myself to and from school and after school activities by myself. I did the laundry for everyone from the time I was 8 years old and cooked dinner most nights by myself. It has taken a long time as an adult to come to a positive relationship with my parents. I always felt completely alone and unwanted. Why bring a child into this world if you aren't going to take care of them? Stepping off my soap box.

Unfortunately, with gardening, there may not be a "next season"....this was one of those years, hence having to buy from another source. This year we had so much rain it washed away valuable nutrients and everyone had a huge loss of tomatoes, corn, peppers, potatoes, etc. That's why, if you have the resources, it's a good idea to can enough for 2 yrs consumption, as one is never guaranteed next year's crop. When a bad year comes along, the prices at the farm stand can reflect that, as they struggle in drought, blight and rain years as well, though not as much as us.

Do you have a compost pile? Or two or three?

I don't own horses but folks do give away manure if you're willing to go and get it.

Raised beds for the house can be good too. Perhaps both types of gardening.

Egg plants in pots work best for me.

we even grow the kids in pots too.

Raised beds will allow you to control soil and help to guarantee some food for the winter.

I always hedge my bets. Don't put all your eggs in one basket.
old.gif

I plant more than one variety of everything. I am planting Poorman gooseberry plants this year. Last time was Pixwell.

I keep four or five breeds of chickens. Some lay better in winter, some do better in confinement, etc.etc.

Dels are great layers, but my C.Rocks are heavier for meat.

Finished up the garden season with more jars of slumgullion, green beans, pickled hot peppers and a couple jars of rabbit....wishing it was the rabbit that's chewed several holes in my garden fence this year.

Next thing to can will be apples, then..hopefully...deer, then the fall cull of the flock for canning up chicken. Then, finally, I can put away canning supplies until next year.

I simply LOVE the ease of opening a jar of chicken and making soup so quickly, tasting better than any chicken from the store and satisfying in a way that one cannot experience outside of eating food they've grown on their own land and in their own way. It's all gourmet quality food and it's the only way us poor folk could ever afford that high quality food experience any time we wish.

Tips. I always use either citric acid or lemon juice to keep my apples from browning. While it doesn't change the flavor, it does keep the fruit from oxidizing and going that odd brown. The brown won't hurt you. We've just been hardwired to think it is icky or spoiled. Eventually, oxidation will change the texture and flavor, so why waste the fruit in the long run to save in the short run?

I simply add some to the water in the slicing bowl and take them for a swim/rinse before cooking them.

Those gadgets they sell to peel and core and apple for you in seconds. USELESS. They usually break smack in the middle of your project, slice apples too thin, or take longer to set up and clean than it does for you to work a peeler.

Find and buy a GOOD peeler, and then buy more of them and hoard them.

I specifically went to the NorthDakota State fair the first year we were married to do nothing BUT buy a vegetable peeler from the knife guy. I still have it and if the house was on fire, it would be one of the things I would grab. (LOL. Kidding..... but not about the peeler.) I've had it 24 years and have NO IDEA what company made it. But I can peel a large apple in under 20 seconds.

Don't bother coring with a fancy machine or a poke through core punch. Just peel your apple and cut around the core as closely as you can. Four quick motions with the knife gives you a core to toss to the compost and 4 large pieces of apple to slice, and HEY, you already have your knife in your hand to do it!

A gel mat to stand on while you peel. If you peel sitting down, you'll get lazy and rest your elbows. That will slow you down. Peel at the sink. Put the stopper in and fill the sink with cores and peels. Then scoop the whole mess into the compost or chicken bucket when you are done.

My girls don't get cores, but I DO slice up the peels and put them into sandwich baggies and freeze for winter treats.

Cover anything you don't want splashed with apple peeling juice with a dish towel. The stuff flies everywhere.

Don't' use apples that with slow you down. One year I had a batch that was overly bruised, damaged, and buggy and they were small. They too me too much time to work with. I make sure I get fist size or larger and peel like a mad woman. Music blaring in the kitchen,.

Use a mix of apples in whatever you make. The end result will amaze you. IF you can remember when apples you use, write it down for each batch you do, so you can repeat a good result.

Firm baking apples are a different creature from a good eating apple. Don't mix the two.

I will put my apple recipes on my blog sometime later today (I volunteer on Tuesdays and to day is inventory day, so keep checking it.)

I wish I had someone to come sit and learn. The Boy and DH love eating it, but aren't interested in learning. Their help slows me down, but they are good for lifting and hauling and bringing up jars, and taking jars down! LOL.

Whipped up something new last night.

Raspberry Lemon/Lime Marmalade
4 med. lemons (I used 7 small meyers)
2 small limes
1 1/4 water
1/8 tsp. baking soda
3 cups raspberries
5 cups sugar (use up to 7 cups to sweeten to taste; I used 5 and it is quite tangy)
1 pouch liquid pectin

Cut ends off lemons and limes and remove centers.... like this

(not my pic)

run lemons and limes through food processor (slicing blade)
Put slices in pan with water and baking soda and cook until rinds are tender (about 20 min)
I put them back into the food processor and pulsed it a couple times to get the slices a little smaller but not puree.

Measure 2 cups of cooked citrus and add it to raspberries and sugar to pot.
bring to a boil, TASTE! if to tart add sugar until you like it.
add 1 pouch of pectin boil and pour into jars and cover. Water bathe to seal for 10 min.

4 pounds ripe peaches
2 cups orange juice
2 to 3 cups sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves

pit the peaches, but leave the skin on. cut into small pieces in a slow cooker with orange juice. cover and cook on low 10 to 12 hours ( do not stir ). puree the peaches in a food processor. measure back into the slow cooker,adding2/3 cup sugar for each cup of peach mixture. add spices. cook on high 1 hour. pour into hot sterilized 1/2-pint canning jars. seal and process in a boiling water bath. or bottle and store in the refigerator or freezer.

What are mock olives?

I found the recipe in the 1932 Ball blue book. They are green sand plums that you salt brine. They taste pretty close to green olives when you're done. They are perfect texture wise and in color and size.

You just take sand plums that are just beginning to ripen but are still green, wash well and cover with a brine made from heating 1 pound salt in 1 gallon of water. Let sit for 36 hours. Drain. Cover in new brine and boil for one minute. Drain and pack hot in jars. Cover with new brine and seal jars. Water bath 10 minutes.

We tried it because we don't eat a lot of olives and figured these basically ended up being free. A friend suggested soaking them overnight in olive oil before we ate them.

Sooo... I have been looking at this thread for quite some time and wanting to try my hand at canning. But unfortunately the Internet has scared me into not wanting to try. Botulism sounds so scary. I finally found something easy to start. Sauerkraut and pickled daikon. My mom has been making pickled daikon for years, so I figured why not. Just started the fermentation of the sauerkraut and just finished with the daikon. We will see in a couple of days as to how they turn out.
All of you canners out there, thanks you for giving me the nerves to try something new!
Congrats!
thumbsup.gif

Today I did 22 pints of green beans [now I have 63 pints done], 7 pints of sweet chip pickles and 6 quarts of dill pickles. And made a cherry crisp for dessert
th.gif

LL

LL

Back
Top Bottom