What are you canning now?

Quote:
Wow I never knew you could can spiced apple rings!! & I LOVE cinnamon in anything. Can I ask where you got the recipes? Those sound yummy. Way to go luvmychicknkids

I've seen ALOT of canning recipes online, but without knowing if they're any good I'd be afraid to use them to can with. I LOVE the apple butter recipe that was posted here, that was Really Delicious!

Quote:
I've been making Zucchini Bread lately it goes faster than I can make it. A HUGE hit. I'll be making Blueberry/Zucchini Bread next & have a recipe for Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread (made with cocoa & chocolate chips). Yummmmm

............But cluckychick did you actually "Can" Zucchini Bread? Never heard of that before.

Quote:
I LOVE the idea of canning for Christmas gifts, I'm 'trying' to do that. But I'm new to canning & not really wanting to can recipes that I'm not sure if they're good or not. Where did you get your 'champagne jelly' recipes from?

I'm soooo in Love with the idea of canning & preserving.

Last edited:
I got the recipe online. Since they have vinegar (and the apples are soaked in lemon juice) I figure they are safe. I know they certainly taste good.
smile.png
I feel a LOT more comfortable with acidic foods (obviously) but am trying some less acidic stuff too. The economy pretty much forces me to. The apple rings really ARE ugly though!!!! LOL

I have made the following jelly, I have enough Peach and Plum juice frozen to make some more if I need it. My family is getting a jelly basket for Christmas this yr.

White Grape Jelly
Concord Grape Jelly
Peach Jelly
Plum Jelly
Orange Marmalade
Blackberry Jam

Quote:
OH I just looked thru the "One" Canning book I have (canning newbie) & found a recipe for:

Apple Rings

Choose medium-sized well-shaped, just-ripened, apples which hold their shape when cooked (allow 1 1/2 pounds of apples for each pint).

Wash apples in cold water. Core, then slice into 1/4-inch rings. To prevent discoloration, drip into an ascorbic or citric acid mixture.

Dissolve 4 cups sugar in 1 quart water. Add food coloring for desired color. Place over heat, bring to a boil & boil 5 minutes. Remove from heat, add drained apples rings to allow to stand 10 minutes. This helps firm the apples. Return to heat, bring to a rolling boil, then simmer 30 minutes or until apples are the desired color. Set the saucepan off the heat & allow the apple rings to cool in the syrup.

Drain off the syrup & bring to a boil. Pack apple rings loosely in hot jars, leaving 1/2-inch head space. Remove air bubbles. Adjust caps. Process pints 15 minutes, quarts 20 minutes in boiling water bath.
NOTE: Cinnamon or other spices may be added to the syrup for extra flavoring. Spiced apple rings may be prepared by using a spice syrup.

This recipe is from my Ball brand canning book called Blue Book. But what do you use the apple rings & syrup for? Using like pineapple rings & topping a sponge or angel food cake?

Well, so far this year I have done...

grape jelly
raspberry jam
mixed berry jam
strawberry jam
pumpkin butter
dill pickles
dilly beans
bread and butter pickles
cuke and onion relish
and just last night 6 quarts of spaghetti sauce.

I too have tons of tomatoes but they seem to be ripening only a few at a time. I just had enough to do spaghetti sauce cause my MIL had a bunch she wasn't going to have time to get to. Hopefully they will come soon. Then I will be BUSY!!
wink.png

Nuggetsowner:) :

Well, so far this year I have done...

grape jelly
raspberry jam
mixed berry jam
strawberry jam
pumpkin butter
dill pickles
dilly beans
bread and butter pickles
cuke and onion relish
and just last night 6 quarts of spaghetti sauce.

I too have tons of tomatoes but they seem to be ripening only a few at a time. I just had enough to do spaghetti sauce cause my MIL had a bunch she wasn't going to have time to get to. Hopefully they will come soon. Then I will be BUSY!!
wink.png

How did you do pumpkin butter? Everything I have seen has said do not puree pumkins for home canning, only chunks.​

just finished canning 19 quarts of string beans should be starting to can some tomatoes here pretty soon. I mostly have been freezing though. Have done tons of strawberries blackberries peppers swiss chard and some other stuff.

The night before last I canned 5 pints of pickled summer (yellow) squash. Recipe:
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Pickled-Squash/Detail.aspx

Last night I canned:
2 qts "Blueberry Pie Filling" http://www.pickyourown.org/blueberrypiefilling.htm
and
6 half-pint jars of "Citrus Blueberry Conserves": http://www.kitchenlink.com/mf/20/7995.

I
added cinnamon to the pie filling b/c I like the flavor it brings out in the berries.

This weekend I'm hoping to get some applesauce canned, plus I might start on some tomato sauces & salsas. They've been slow to ripen around here.

Back
Top Bottom