What are you canning now?

This is what I plan on canning next: Bacon Jam. When I saw the pic, I knew I had to make this for my husband & youngest son!
Well, I made the Bacon Jam. A ton of work for 3 little containers, but yum. I'll buy better bacon next time & have less grease. It's a lot of work to chops up 3lbs of bacon, 4 onions, & 8 cloves of garlic, but the jam is good. We're going to have some tomorrow with cheeseburgers.

Finished up the garden season with more jars of slumgullion, green beans, pickled hot peppers and a couple jars of rabbit....wishing it was the rabbit that's chewed several holes in my garden fence this year.

Next thing to can will be apples, then..hopefully...deer, then the fall cull of the flock for canning up chicken. Then, finally, I can put away canning supplies until next year.

I simply LOVE the ease of opening a jar of chicken and making soup so quickly, tasting better than any chicken from the store and satisfying in a way that one cannot experience outside of eating food they've grown on their own land and in their own way. It's all gourmet quality food and it's the only way us poor folk could ever afford that high quality food experience any time we wish.

Finished up the garden season with more jars of slumgullion, green beans, pickled hot peppers and a couple jars of rabbit....wishing it was the rabbit that's chewed several holes in my garden fence this year.

Next thing to can will be apples, then..hopefully...deer, then the fall cull of the flock for canning up chicken.   Then, finally, I can put away canning supplies until next year.  

I simply LOVE the ease of opening a jar of chicken and making soup so quickly, tasting better than any chicken from the store and satisfying in a way that one cannot experience outside of eating food they've grown on their own land and in their own way.  It's all gourmet quality food and it's the only way us poor folk could ever afford that high quality food experience any time we wish.   
I'm going to try canning next year. This year learning with pickling, preserves, etc. Sounds like you'll have a great selection for those winter dinners!

Does anyone have a recipe for rose hip jam that gives the ratio of sugar to pulp? The ones I have talk about the original rose hip quantity...and that ship has sailed.

10 half-pints and 1 pint of salsa made with an assortment of peppers and tomatoes from our garden. I think it's going to be caliente because I didn't wear gloves when working with the peppers and my hands are nice and toasty warm now several hours later. Gotta love capsasin! (sp)

Well, I made the Bacon Jam. A ton of work for 3 little containers, but yum. I'll buy better bacon next time & have less grease. It's a lot of work to chops up 3lbs of bacon, 4 onions, & 8 cloves of garlic, but the jam is good. We're going to have some tomorrow with cheeseburgers.

Ooooh cheeseburgers ...salads, pizza topping, potatoes, STUFFED twice baked potatoes. Oh boy oh boy ha-ha :D

I have 10 lbs of fresh side in the deep freeze waiting for me to do this with!

Back
Top Bottom