What are you canning now?

They have the large Presto canner on sale for $79.00 on Amazon. I'm thinking of just biting the bullet & buying it. My husband's grandmother's Sears brand hasn't been used for at least 25 years & I don't have the directions for it. I've looked online & can't locate the model to get instructions or new parts. But I hate to spend $$$.

Newbie question here...

Why is it bad to can on a glass cooktop range? Does it not get hot enough or does the cooktop get so hot it breaks?

The canners plus water and jars are too heavy for a glass cook top and can break the seal around the edges of the stove, the glass top itself and can even press down on the coils underneath the glass, bending the connection to the stove itself.

The canners plus water and jars are too heavy for a glass cook top and can break the seal around the edges of the stove, the glass top itself and can even press down on the coils underneath the glass, bending the connection to the stove itself.

They also cycle on and off to regulate heat, which is especially annoying, and non productive when pressure canning.

Thank you both...that makes sense now.

Just a suggestion for the people in desert conditions trying to grow veggies - when in Wyoming, I had a small growhouse that I grew everything in. I made sure that it was well ventilated to prevent cooking everything in there, one side was only wire mesh to keep out the free-loaders and both sides had the top section right under the roof open so plenty of air movement. But in-my-opinion the plastic sides and top blocked the drying winds and held in the humidity enough to help the plants grow and thrive. My 3 1/2' by 7' garden produced plenty for DH and I to eat and have extra to share. I dehydrated extra tomatoes one year.

Yep.... I have a repairman ordering parts and until then, I'm bearing the shame of KNOWING that BEFORE I started lol :p

They also cycle on and off to regulate heat, which is especially annoying, and non productive when pressure canning.

That too...just when you get steam built, it shuts down and takes twice as long to heat and keep pressure... It's also really hot over the burner after its shut off, so I tend to get hot handles just from not shooting the pan over...

Thank you both...that makes sense now.

Sorry lol, I quoted the wrong post and was too tired to go back and change it... Lol learn from my mistake, don't can on glass top lol ;) I'm out a large burner at peak season for needing to get this done, so I had to fork out my DHs hard earned cash for a propane burner lol....which....

It's more like a two burner turkey cooker I'd say, it's on a stand about 30' high, runs on 1 propane tank, it's really sturdy, doesn't wobble at all. there's a metal wind screen that you can take off for the larger pots

You sold me on it lol. Just happened upon one at the feed store of all places...2 burners, wind guard...looks like its going to work like a charm! Thanks! :D

A week of agony hopefully over... No canning on glass top lol ;)

Oh while I was in town, look at the size of this jar I got! I had to fill it with what else?... Pickled eggs :D

That's a quart jar next to it... I think it was a gallon and a half? Fits in the fridge just perfect! :)

Last edited:
Oh while I was in town, look at the size of this jar I got! I had to fill it with what else?... Pickled eggs :D

That's a quart jar next to it... I think it was a gallon and a half? Fits in the fridge just perfect! :)

Grandma has 3 or 4 of those 1/2 gallon ones down stairs. Grandpa said she put juice in it because the 3 kids drank it so quick, not sure how she canned with it though, it was taller than both her canning pots.

Grandma has 3 or 4 of those 1/2 gallon ones down stairs. Grandpa said she put juice in it because the 3 kids drank it so quick, not sure how she canned with it though, it was taller than both her canning pots.

They did those open kettle . No longer recommended . Bring to a boil ladle or pour into hot jars and seal . Grandma and mom both did tomatoes that way . Old wives tale is pregnant women could not can that way as their body chemistry made the food spoil . My take on this is a pregnant woman was a little slower canning and the liquid cooled enough before sealing to cause spoiling .

Back
Top Bottom