What are you canning now?

I planted three heirloom varieties that are so wrinkled and ugly that they are useless as canning tomatoes.  My Roma are going nuts, as are my cherry and marble tomatoes (can't can those though). A real winner, although SLOW to ripen, are my SUPER SAUCE tomatoes!!! Next year I am planting more of those.  They are a meat tomato like the Roma, but are the size of an eggplant! Each tomato fills a Quart jar!!!!

My early girls are just OK this year.  My lemon boy is banner. 

My plants are well labeled so I will make a list this fall on who gets a chance again next year.

What heirloom varieties do you plant?

What heirloom varieties do you plant?

Yes do share lol...I'm already grabbing my catalogs for the saucing one you mentioned ;)

Edit...wow!!!!! I googled them lol...
BurpeeSupersauce2_zps83b3e3bc.jpg

Last edited:
I pickled some pinto beans, corn, & poblano chiles. They won't be really ready until 8/28, but I had to taste! Mmmmm. I bought a Better Homes & Garden canning magazine & they have some really good recipes in it. Since I'm a newbie, I'm still pickling & making jelly & jams. I also taste everything to make sure I don't poison anyone. I guess I'm expendable!

Tomatoes, tomatoes, and MORE tomatoes. I have taken to doing cooked, condensed, tomato purée. It's what I use the most of all year. It cans well without separating, and I use my stick blender to do away with the seeds.

I'm pulling 30 pounds out of the garden every three days. Mercy.

Need more jars.

I should be so blessed. I've got the jars just not the tomatoes. Next year I plant early and more plants. We were away this spring so not much got planted, Lord willing.

Hope you can get 'em all done. Have fun.
thumbsup.gif

That is so nice, thanks! I've told my husband we're putting in some raised beds in front of our regular garden area. I want to grow a lot more veggies since the canning bug has bitten me! We just put in an old porcelain sink & drinking fountain out by the garden. Now all we need is a porcelain toilet! (The neighbors would love that!)

That is so nice, thanks! I've told my husband we're putting in some raised beds in front of our regular garden area. I want to grow a lot more veggies since the canning bug has bitten me! We just put in an old porcelain sink & drinking fountain out by the garden. Now all we need is a porcelain toilet! (The neighbors would love that!)

And don't forget the tub!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom