What are you canning now?

They did those open kettle . No longer recommended . Bring to a boil ladle or pour into hot jars and seal . Grandma and mom both did tomatoes that way . Old wives tale is pregnant women could not can that way as their body chemistry made the food spoil . My take on this is a pregnant woman was a little slower canning and the liquid cooled enough before sealing to cause spoiling .

Oh yeah, these aren't canned, just fridge eggs... The not fitting in the canner being one reason; the fact that a quart jar might last one day once opened being the other lol... We eat them too fast to bother canning them ;)

Lol old wives tales... Poor pregnant women can't catch a break... I would venture to guess it was more because the smell would probably make her run for the loo too much, and trying to lift a pot that heavy would cause some serious issues with baby...

Or she might be too slow... Lol ;)

Edit* I should add that canning eggs has serious risks of botulism...one major point being, the white CANNOT be broken exposing the yolk... As long as the yolk is completely encased with white, the risk is significantly less... But the eggs get kind of rubbery too :p

Last edited:
Hi folks, 

In short.  Wild grapes have male and female vines. This is why I have vines with no grapes and some that do. I did not learn this in all my reading. 

Well I learned something new! Interesting.... So they need a pollinator or the males pulled?

A lot of plants like that actually, male and female... Asparagus males are the ones with the best spears... The male flowers that bloom first on curcubits are just there to call pollinators to the female flowers that follow...

Wonder if not having any male vines would keep concords from getting seeds... I bet it has something to do with it; that means the vineyards around here are all full of female vines, keeping them in full production with no seeds to remove!

Cool, thanks for sharing! :)

Last edited:
Well I learned something new! Interesting.... So they need a pollinator or the males pulled?

A lot of plants like that actually, male and female... Asparagus males are the ones with the best spears... The male flowers that bloom first on curcubits are just there to call pollinators to the female flowers that follow...

Wonder if not having any male vines would keep concords from getting seeds... I bet it has something to do with it; that means the vineyards around here are all full of female vines, keeping them in full production with no seeds to remove!

Cool, thanks for sharing!
smile.png

The vineyards would have new cultivars so they're vines would be genetically predisposed to having male AND female flowers.

I'm not educated on Seedless fruits, though I do believe "seeded" watermelons to have better taste.

I had emailed a local gardening columnist here about the grape vines and she told me about wild grapes. It was something I didn't find on the internet.

I do have two Concord grape vines growing and hope to get some grapes from them next year. If not I would expect the year after.

I'm all for planting beneficial plants rather than not. I can always sell what fruit I don't use. Even a dollar is better than not these days.

Wonder if not having any male vines would keep concords from getting seeds... I bet it has something to do with male it; that means the vineyards around here are all full of female vines, keeping them in full production with no seeds to remove!

Cool, thanks for sharing!
smile.png

Grapes can be male only , female only or perfect flowered ( male and female parts in the same flower . Most domestic grapes have been selected for perfect flowers . Seedless is a genetic trait . I forget the correct spelling . So no pollinator or perfect flower no grapes unless it is seedless type .

Another 8 quarts of tomato purée. I hate to say I'm sick of canning tomatoes, but wow..... they have slowed down since we've had a week of cooler days and nights. There is still plenty of fruit out there, it's just slow to ripen with cooler temps. We'll be back in the 90s starting tomorrow.

Only managed 5 pounds of mostly ripe tomatoes, but did go ahead and harvest the Yukon gold potatoes today, About 20 pounds of them. Not sure I'll plant those again next year. Very few potatoes per plant IMHO. I might just stick with the early reds next year and then reuse the bed for another short crop after, or another crop of potatoes.

5 half pints of raspberry preserves. I can't believe how excited I am that raspberries don't need extra pectin. For a million years I have been using those little boxes of pectin and they are not cheap, and for some berries and fruits they are unnecessary!

5 half pints of raspberry preserves. I can't believe how excited I am that raspberries don't need extra pectin. For a million years I have been using those little boxes of pectin and they are not cheap, and for some berries and fruits they are unnecessary!

Some do. It depends on the variety. Some raspberries are nice and tart. Make great jam.

So in the last week I have been given 2 Presto pressure canners, 1 of them has never been used and came with 3 extra rings still in the boxes. I am very excited, concerned about getting them both tested but excited and thankful all the same. The second one I received came with a ring around the pot and none in the lid so the extra seals will come in handy.

Back
Top Bottom