Does anyone know of a processor in South Western PA?

tinkarooni

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 29, 2008
Pittsburgh
I have been looking every where and can't find anyone to do it. My DH is getting desperate and he's looking at pluckers.

Please help me stop him.
smile.png

Thanks so much!

We are about 1/2 hour south of Pittsburgh, I should have specified that. There seems to be some processors way north almost to Erie but I can't find anyone closer. I haven't even found the processors in Erie yet but I know they're there, there are so many meat producers in that area listed on www.eatwild.com.

We really need someone closer. Thanks for any help you can offer.

We live in the Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia, and I looked all over WV, VA, MD lower PA and couldn't find a processor. I was told that for what little money could be made in processing that it just wasn't worth it considering the cost of equipment, licenses, insurances, etc. We finally came to the conclusion that we were saving ourselves some money by doing it ourselves (i.e. we were stuck with 25 meat birds and nobody to do the dirty work for us). After that it was a matter of arming ourselves with information on how (and lots of pictures help). Please tell DH not to despair, because if worse comes to it, it is not hard at all to do yourself. My DH and I processed 25 Jumbo Cornish X Rocks last summer with zero experience and little in the way of equipment. Okay, I got to admit that I was intimidated, and my city boy husband was turning green, but he did join in after bird #3. Also tell DH that a pair of standard yellow cleaning gloves from the dollar store work as well as a $300 + plucker and smaller "pluckers" that act as drill attachments are available for around $0 - 50. The process is simple: kill bird, scald bird, remove feathers (or skip scald and remove feathers and skin at same time), remove innards, wash and pack. If you try to look at it as a process rather than the ending of a little life it does go alot easier. There are many ways to to do the process depending on the end result you want and I've come to find that whatever works best for you is the right way. Good luck !

I live near the amish near new wilmington. There are a couple of amish butchers that do it for 1.25-1.50 bird. We are about 75 minutes from pgh due north.

I know a person who took theirs to a processor around 7 springs. I think they charged $3 per bird, including vacuum packing. If you are interested I could try and find out the exact name. However, I think that is a little steep so I just do all my processing myself. It is not much for two people to do 25 broilers in four hours start to finish. I know some people may laugh at how long it takes but that is a lot shorter than what it took me when I first started and I unfortunately do not have any "tools" such as a plucker.

we use Silver lining poultry processing in Bittinger ( close to Grantsville, MD ). they do a fantastic job and charge 1.75 / bird. they will cut up the bird for ( i think ) .50 extra.

we took 25 last spring and they had them all done in about 2 hours. took 50 last fall and it took them about 5 hours to do them all.

Quote:
Do you know where they took them in Seven Springs. I think this is also closer than anyone I've found. I located somebody in Clarks Mills PA but that's a long drive with 25 chickens in the backseat.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom