Does anyone know of any examples where roosters are allowed in residential areas?

Exactly what I was thinking when you mentioned that roosters weren't allowed and your husband is a city counselor but yet you're keeping one anyways.
Yes, after personally checking with all of my neighbors to ensure he isn’t bothering any of them. I think it would be worse to get rid of him simply for being a rooster when he isn’t causing anyone any harm or bother. Anyone would be welcome to complain if they wished. It wouldn’t change me having him if he wasn’t a councillor either. The only advantage I really have is a fast track to present a case for why we should look at changing a bylaw that likely had little thought put into it in the first place because it is quite different from all the surrounding cities.

Well, roosters and hens act differently. But humans are pretty reliably adverse to being woken up early, unnecessarily. Humans are often adverse to their own offspring waking them up too (even though the love their offspring). :lau

Cows and bulls act differently within their species. Most likely you’d be ok walking through a field of cows, but not one with a bull. Why? Bc the male of that species acts different, so you would change your expectations.

Going to beg to differ here! Unless you’re trying to force the bull to do something he doesn’t want to I’d say you’re probably just as fine walking near him. It varies with the individual of course, but I walked our last bull out of a field with a bucket of feed no problems, he was practically heeling like a well trained dog. I tried to lead our cows out the same way, and got kicked in their exuberance, I will never try to bucket lead them again!

I will say I don’t like our new bull (3 years old) running towards me with exuberance for feed either, but they are usually way more laid back than our cows that have almost run me over a few times, and will happily shove me aside or try to knock hay bales out of my grasp. We have Herefords with a Few Angus and Angus/Hereford crosses. The bulls are never hand tamed either.

Going to beg to differ here! Unless you’re trying to force the bull to do something he doesn’t want to I’d say you’re probably just as fine walking near him. It varies with the individual of course, but I walked our last bull out of a field with a bucket of feed no problems, he was practically heeling like a well trained dog. I tried to lead our cows out the same way, and got kicked in their exuberance, I will never try to bucket lead them again!

I will say I don’t like our new bull (3 years old) running towards me with exuberance for feed either, but they are usually way more laid back than our cows that have almost run me over a few times, and will happily shove me aside or try to knock hay bales out of my grasp. We have Herefords with a Few Angus and Angus/Hereford crosses. The bulls are never hand tamed either.

Point was that males and females act different, although the same species.

Classic, familiar scene (right or wrong) in animated and non animated films of a bull chasing a person at risk of being gored. The bull run in Spain(?) -always stories of individuals being gored -all by intact bulls.

However, good to know that an intact bull can mind his manners whilst focusing on a bucket of feed!

I live in a city in Northern Ohio. I live in town and we have no restrictions on chickens......however. We do have a noise ordinance. I have 3 bantam roosters and as long as nobody complains, it's fine. So far so good. My neighbors actually enjoy hearing a rooster crowing . Go figure

Austin, TX. has a 6 chicken limit. The only restriction on roosters is noise. If there are noise complaints the owner may be asked to relocate the rooster.

We have roos all over our neighborhood. Our neighbors are very understanding. Other neighborhoods, not so much. Depends on the area of Austin.

Well, where are you located? A semi rural or urban area? Large metro area? How big are the lots usually? What are current rules for chickens -is there a lot size minimum? Are there rules for how far away from lot lines the coop can be?

It makes sense to increase number of hens to 6, though so that’s good to hear!

Roosters can be noisy. Very noisy. Sometimes they compete with each other, so imagine just three chicken keepers within a few blocks (within earshot of a suburban neighborhood) and you will have a ruckus that is no longer charming. Dogs can be noisy, but are also considered house pets, whereas chickens are livestock. You can complain about the dogs barking if it’s a real problem.

We have a few neighbors, we all have 1acre, rectangular lots. Next door neighbor has chickens and one rooster, who crows a moderate or less amount. In warmer weather he is waking us up with crows pretty early. However, our bedroom and his chickens are almost as far apart as you could get. They have said ours have never woken them up...but the way our coop and barn are situated in relation to their home is likely why they don’t get disturbed. So, my point here is that a rooster’s crow carries. Roosters are genetically predispsitioned to greet the sun...

We have now had 5 cockerels across 4 breeds. One breed would NOT shut up. It annoyed US so much we sent to freezer camp. One breed hadn’t crowed by the time it went to freezer camp. Third was recently sold as it kept aggressively going after my tween, but it crowed throughout the day, not excessively. Last one crows just a few times a day, and he has a deep crow, so not very jarring like some roosters cries are more noticeable bc they are a higher pitch/seem louder.
We have one in the neighborhood that sounds like he is dry heaving every morning....

Cocklebuuuuugggg....Ahuuuuuuuurg!!!!!

I live in a city in Northern Ohio. I live in town and we have no restrictions on chickens......however. We do have a noise ordinance. I have 3 bantam roosters and as long as nobody complains, it's fine. So far so good. My neighbors actually enjoy hearing a rooster crowing . Go figure
Yes mine seem to quite enjoy mine too! There’s always an exception for animals creating a nuisance. It is no different than bylaws regarding owning dogs.

We have one in the neighborhood that sounds like he is dry heaving every morning....

Cocklebuuuuugggg....Ahuuuuuuuurg!!!!!
Haha When my rooster first started to crow one of my neighbors thought it was a dog. When I went to ask if he bothered her she was like “Oh it’s a rooster! Thank heavens, I thought it was a dog with something wrong with it!” Lol

... The bull run in Spain(?) -always stories of individuals being gored -all by intact bulls.

Just as general info, those bulls are bred for certain traits (aggression) that makes them respond to the cape of the matador in a bull fight... they're very high strung... generally speaking beef and dairy cattle have been bred to be docile, but of course like anything individuals vary in temperament, particularly of course when hormones surge.

But I agree with your point that males of livestock breeds often have different behaviors than females.

Back
Top Bottom