Does anyone know what’s going on?

weathergrl

Chirping
Oct 4, 2019
North Texas
She keeps making a sneezing almost like choking noise every min or so. She has 7 babies that are almost 2 weeks old so we can’t loose her. I tried to post a video, but it would let me. I’m in Texas and it was very hot yesterday and will be today as well. I can try and catch her and bring her and the babies inside if needed.

It may be that something is caught in her nostrils - perhaps a piece of grass or hay. Hopefully she can dislodge it. If she appears to be suffering from the heat, I would bring her to a cooler place. Good luck.

Videos can be uploaded to YouTube or Vimeo with a link posted here. Have you had any birds in the past with a respiratory issue? Check her nostrils for any drainage, dirt, etc. Is she in the coop with other hens? Watch for sneezing in any others. There is one respiratory disease called infectious bronchitis, that causes frequent sneezing. It spreads rapidly through a flock, and my flock once caught it from wild birds. Hopefully, your broody is just having a reaction to dust or something getting into her nostrils.

Videos can be uploaded to YouTube or Vimeo with a link posted here. Have you had any birds in the past with a respiratory issue? Check her nostrils for any drainage, dirt, etc. Is she in the coop with other hens? Watch for sneezing in any others. There is one respiratory disease called infectious bronchitis, that causes frequent sneezing. It spreads rapidly through a flock, and my flock once caught it from wild birds. Hopefully, your broody is just having a reaction to dust or something getting into her nostrils.
All the other chickens seem fine for now and her eyes and beak look clear. Her poop was a runny & her crop is pretty empty. She has stopped making the noise, but isn’t acting herself. She is normally scratching and clucking for the babies constantly, but she is just standing/sitting. I tried giving her some blueberries and she took them and clucked for the babies to come over, but then just sat again. I picked her up, but she FREAKED OUT because of the babies and I couldn’t get a good look in her mouth.

All the other chickens seem fine for now and her eyes and beak look clear. Her poop was a runny & her cr She has stopped making the noise, but isn’t acting herself. She is normally scratching and clucking for the babies constantly, but she is just standing/sitting. I tried giving her some blueberries and she took them and clucked for the babies to come over, but then just sat again.
She keeps making a sneezing almost like choking noise every min or so. She has 7 babies that are almost 2 weeks old so we can’t loose her. I tried to post a video, but it would let me. I’m in Texas and it was very hot yesterday and will be today as well. I can try and catch her and bring her and the babies inside if needed.
UPDATE - She stopping making the noise this morning and by this afternoon she seemed to be pretty much back to normal. I’m guessing she might have had something stuck and she was able to work it out. I’ll continue to monitor the flock and especially the babies closely the next few days just in case, but I’m hoping it was just a fluke morning. Thank you for all the advice.

Back
Top Bottom