1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Does anyone know what breed?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by calman5565, Apr 22, 2012.

1. calman5565

calman5565 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2012
    Hey everyone!

I bought 5 chicks about three weeks ago that were sold to me as RIRs. Four of them are definitely that but one of them has very different coloring. It is strong and healthy but just with more white. I would appreciate it if you could tell me your opinion as to what it could be.

Thanks!

Here are some pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    It looks like a production or RIR to me. The other color should come out as it moults and gets its adult feathers. Good luck!

3. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Cute lil' cockerel you got there.

I'd guess these are hatchery RIR's which are simply not pure breed. Here on BYC you'll hear them referred to as Production Reds. A true RIR will have grey to black down under feathers but the Hatchery stock always has white under coat. Production reds are a strain that had out crossing to increase egg laying. Excellent birds, we have two that gave 6-7 eggs per week each in pullet year and are giving 5-6 ultra Jumbo eggs as hens now.

Another guess is the coloring difference is due to others being pullets as I'm quite sure this one is a boy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by