Does anyone know what judges look for in chickens?(4H chickens)

LaneKim

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 25, 2008
Del Rio
Hello everyone,

We Have 7 Buff Orpingtons wich we think are all roosters! There is a 4H fair that i will be participating in! I am entering the dog show and we thought i could try and enter the poultry show too!! So today I signed up for the poultry show! I put in 2 of our roosters the 4H people will also test them for FREE for pollurom-typhoid! YAY!!
big_smile.png
So does anyone know what they look for in show chickens??
idunno.gif
Our roosters are only a few months old so their not full grown or anything. But they are old enoughto be entered. I shall take pictures of each individual rooster by next week ,to see which two everyone thinks we should take to the fair. This is my first time entering the fair in our county so i have know idea what i'm doing so i was hoping you guys could help!!!
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

Last edited:
I would love for my boys to be able to do a fair with some chickens, but no 4-h that I've been able to find around here does poultry
sad.png

sad.png
I'm sorry Just Hatched! I was unaware of the fair here until this year! So I am definitely a first timer i wasn't a big part of 4H at my school until this last year anyway and unfortunately i will be in high school this coming year so missed a lot of the little kid fun stuff with 4H but since we decided to get chickens we decided to be in the fair!
big_smile.png

We are suppose to get in it if I find any thing cool about it I let ya'll know
wink.png
my kids are wanten to do it 2

Well so far i have found out that some of the fairs want you to sell your chickens after the show!! Oh NO!!! But i got out of that one so if you sign up for a fair make sure your not signed up for the one where you have to sell your chickens!!!!:eek:

For those of you interested in 4-H, your county extension office should have a list of all the 4-H clubs in your area. Give the advisors a call and find out what projects the club is involved with and what age group they have. That way you can decide on a club that fits your needs.
Most judges look for the bird that follows the standards the closest for that particular breed. I recommend getting a copy of the Standard of Perfection book for any going into showing. It will provide you with all the facts, including the disqualifications you might want to know for your breed.
Our county fair has an auction, but only for the market animals including meat chickens and turkeys (and thats only if you want to sell them) but not the fancy poulty the kids show.
4-H is a great experience for any child. Good Luck!
yippiechickie.gif

This weekend is our 1st year in 4-H and our 1st fair. The kids want to enter poultry next year, so I'll be asking a lot of the same questions. And hopefully picking up prospects for next year.
fl.gif

I found our group through our extension office. They gave me a list of the closest groups and contact info. Not really helpful on the whole fair/chicken issue. And the fair book just didn't have enough info.

I know the standards play a big part and they also rate some breeds on egg laying, but that could just be for here. Someone from our club is going to introduce me to a member in another club who is apparently the go to guy about chickens.

Same here on the auction. The fair book said it was voluntary. I'll let you know if I get any specifics that might help.

Back
Top Bottom