Does anyone know what this is?

JoanneCoop

Hatching
Mar 14, 2018
767FA29E-FF11-4E51-9F1C-3C5FA464C59D.jpeg
We’re one year into raising our laying chickens and haven’t seen this before. It’s a bare patch right above the tail feathers. We have four hens, and none of the others show this. Thanks in advance!

Do you have a rooster? Hens usually get a lot of wear and tear thanks to roosters and that's where they get it. If no roo have you seen the other hens pulling out her feathers?
You can buy a chicken apron which will cover the area and allow her to regrow her feathers without tempting the others.

G’Day from down under JoanneCoop :frow Welcome!

If you do not have a rooster, I am also going with mites or feather picking.

BYC has Topic of the Week discussions which I have found to be a great resource, informative and sometimes entertaining; so definitely worth checking out. These two may be of assistance:
Topic of the Week - Feather Pecking/Eating
Topic of the Week - Lice and Mites - Prevention and Treatments

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

Including your general location on your profile will assist others. Location, climate, season etc can be important factors when members are responding to any questions you may have and vice versa.

You might want to also Find Your State Thread and pop in and say hello.

If you would like to share Pictures and Stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

Wow! Thank you all for the advice! No roosters here, and we haven't seen any creepy crawlies, but I'll be sure to investigate and observe more closely. A chicken apron, eh?

Hello and welcome to BYC. Hopefully the links will help you narrow down what the issue may be.

Back
Top Bottom