Does anyone know why an egg has spots on the outside sometimes?

ELOISEtheCHICKEN

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 10, 2008
I have a chicken that is laying eggs with spots. They almost look like paint splatters. She lays a brown egg and the spots are a slightly lighter shade of brown. She just started doing this. She started laying about 8 -12 weeks ago and is a barred rock.

Huh.. maybe you have a chick who thinks she's a quail!
wink.png

its not blood, a few times the splattering was white. I thought maybe extra calcium hthat is depositing on the egg shell or something. But the last two eggs from her have had the light brown splatters, i doesn't wipe off.....though it might scrub off.

Yep, when it comes to the wonderful nutricious backyard flock layed eggs, one needs to get over the crystal white perfect looking inferior eggs that are the result of abused caged hens!

Then a normal dozen eggs coming from a average backyard flock will have some small medium and large, as well as a variety of colors and shapes....more wholesome and alot more fun, if you aren't freaked out with the normal difference that a healthy backyard flock provides eh?

Enjoy the great eggs your flock provides and forget about the commercial, use to eat less than the best eggs!
th.gif

bigzio

Back
Top Bottom