Does anyone know why an egg has spots on the outside sometimes?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ELOISEtheCHICKEN, Sep 5, 2008.

1. ELOISEtheCHICKEN

ELOISEtheCHICKEN Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2008
    I have a chicken that is laying eggs with spots. They almost look like paint splatters. She lays a brown egg and the spots are a slightly lighter shade of brown. She just started doing this. She started laying about 8 -12 weeks ago and is a barred rock.

2. beakkeeper

beakkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Huh.. maybe you have a chick who thinks she's a quail![​IMG]

3. ashyannehand

ashyannehand Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Wade, Mississippi
    I get those all the time from my girls. I had never thought to ask why. Good question. I hope we get an explination.

Good luck![​IMG]

4. snowydiamonds

snowydiamonds Chillin' With My Peeps

Prepare yourselves people...its blood spatters.

5. Ugly Cowboy

Ugly Cowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2008
    Corn, OK
    Quote:Blood splatters, huh?! Boy, that really makes me glad I aint a hen! LOL!

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Not always blood. Lots of hens lay speckled eggs. It's just pigment and if you get the egg right after it's laid they'll wipe off.

7. snowydiamonds

snowydiamonds Chillin' With My Peeps

;)Cynthia, that's why I figured it was blood, they wash or wipe off...glad to learn/know my hens laying extra large eggs are NOT tearing themselves every day:D

8. ELOISEtheCHICKEN

ELOISEtheCHICKEN Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2008
    its not blood, a few times the splattering was white. I thought maybe extra calcium hthat is depositing on the egg shell or something. But the last two eggs from her have had the light brown splatters, i doesn't wipe off.....though it might scrub off.

9. wyliefarms

wyliefarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Fowlerville,MI
    If it is raised then it is calcium depoists.

Some hens just lay eggs that have spots on them. Just the individual hen's quirks.

10. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Yep, when it comes to the wonderful nutricious backyard flock layed eggs, one needs to get over the crystal white perfect looking inferior eggs that are the result of abused caged hens!

Then a normal dozen eggs coming from a average backyard flock will have some small medium and large, as well as a variety of colors and shapes....more wholesome and alot more fun, if you aren't freaked out with the normal difference that a healthy backyard flock provides eh?

Enjoy the great eggs your flock provides and forget about the commercial, use to eat less than the best eggs! [​IMG]

bigzio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by