Does anyone make rag quilts?

Oh yes, I have a pair of those! They are fantastic! There are a few reasons I am on this mission. I have seen some fantastic raq quilts on ebay that have the perfect fringe, evenly spaced at that! I wanted to be able to do that to mine. I also thought it would save a lot of time and I would be able to spit the quilts out quicker to make a little money on the side. I also like getting new gadgets to satisfy my addiction but there is no way I could justify spending that much. The machine alone is $600 plus you have to spend another $150 to get the die for the fringing. Ugh, it's frustrating. I am thinking I will just have to resign myself to snipping away while watching tv and scattering little threads all over the place.

Thanks for your reply!

gig.gif
Yeah, I know what you mean! I save the snipping for TV watching and long car trips. When I open the car door, I "moult"! DH LOVES it when I do that in his truck.
gig.gif
I'll have to check out the Accuquilt thing. I just got their catalog in the mail but didn't pay close enough attention...
hmm.png

Moult, I never thought of it that way! I have only snipped the purses in the car. I have decided I prefer doing quilts over purses so I have to have more space. I did a twin size for my oldest DS and man oh man was that a job. I have got the squares for the top for my youngest DS's quilt cut out, I still have to do the batting and the backing and I have been putting it off. I have seen some on Ebay going for a nice chunk of change and would like to try changing my designs up a bit. Trying to find the time to do it is a different story....

Time....*sigh*. My quilting is kind of on the back burner for now. Now that the weather has cooled a bit, I'm kind of ready to get my unfinished projects out...

I hear you about the space issue! I only have one spot that I can lay everything out and let it stay out till I'm done! I'm constantly yelling at the cat to get off my project though!
gig.gif
he.gif

I like the traditional stuff plus the rag quilting. For my rag quilts I have used old jeans backed with a fun print. Since the denim is heavy, I haven't used batting in the middle which cuts out a step. I did do one flannel rag quilt with the batting in the middle.

Anyway, enjoy your projects!!
bun.gif

Ahh yes, the cooler weather. I have plenty of space to work on my sewing but it isn't heated so I will have to move my stuff again so I don't freeze while working on my projects.

I actually have yet to make a traditional quilt! After seeing the quilt block swap, I think I can do a 9 patch, but have yet to attempt it. Too many irons in the fire.

I haven't used jeans for my rag quilts yet. The boys are really rough with their jeans and finding a decent sized piece without a stain or hole is near impossible so I just stick to regular fabric. If I get the chance tomorrow.er...this morning I will post pics of a few completed quilts. Maybe you could do the same, hint hint! I love looking at stuff like that!

I better get to bed, I won't want to wake up in the morning. Its been nice chatting with you!

I just made a rag quilt... I would recommend getting homespun fabric to make sure it fringes up... that might save you from having to cut eat peice 1/4in spaces. I didn't get homespun for my quilt and it seriously needs to be hand fringed... it's for a Christmas present for my Mother in law so I guess I need to do it!

Here's the rag quilt I just did..
015-13.jpg

Last edited:
Mycookoonest,

That is beautiful!!! I like how you used smaller squares on some of it. Homespun fabrics are the best! I made a curtain valance for my kitchen out of patriotic homespun and it frays so nicely! I had a picture of it but now I can't seem to find it and the valance is all packed away!
barnie.gif
If I find it later I will post it.

Thanks!

That's awesome Mycookoonest!! I love your 4 patches in with the squares!! My rag quilts only have had squares. Homespun is definitely good, but I've had good luck with the regular stuff too. A couple trips through the washer and dryer and it comes out pretty nice.

tabsmonsters... I'll see if I can get a few pics posted! The PhotoBucket picture posting thing is complicated!!
barnie.gif

One of the BYC members, horsejody, started a Yahoo group for quilters. I believe it's called The Quilted Rooster. They are planning to start up a block swap. Do a search on Yahoo Groups for it. I think there are 7 or 8 members and all are from BYC. The nine patches are sooooo easy!!

Back
Top Bottom