Does anyone mix bantams with standard birds?

Little Coop on Salt Creek

Songster
8 Years
Feb 20, 2016
Southwest Colorado
Hi all,
So I am continuing to research which breeds we should have in our flock. I am curious if anyone has kept bantams in the same flock as large or standard sizes. I know that we will not get as many or as big of eggs than with the standards, but we could have more of them due to their smaller sizes. Any input from those who have experience with this is appreciated in advance!

I also have limited space and so decided to go with a flock of bantams because I liked the idea of having a bunch of birds instead of only a few standard size. The eggs are perfectly usable, you can make a great egg and cheese bagel with three or four of them.
There are only two of us and I haven't been short on eggs since the girls started laying. In fact, I had to pickle a bunch before winter and those made great snacks when production started going down when the days got really short. In November I was getting over 60 eggs a week from a flock of 10-11. It went down to 20-30 per week in Feb but is picking up again now even though I have an endless line of broodies going into the buster.
My new chicks are 2 weeks old and I'm so excited to have 8 different varieties in my little urban farm flock.
Hope this helps!

I have bantams with standard birds. They are doing fine with their bigger friends. In fact, Bonnie and Clyde (the two banty's) can have quite the attitude and stick up for themselves very well. I enjoy the smaller eggs hard boiled as well.

Back
Top Bottom