Does anyone NOT use a poop board and wish they had? or...

gale65

Songster
9 Years
Aug 19, 2010
north central indiana
My Coop
My Coop
Or not use one with deep litter and are happy they didn't (Not on a dirt floor)? I'm sitting here imagining my germophobic self scraping poop every day and wondering where to put it and thinking maybe I'd be better off not using boards at all. For the record I hate scooping the poop from the sand we have right now for a variety of reasons.

Quote:
See my BYC page for pics of my setup. No poop boards ever, been working for 2 decades.

Quote:
See my BYC page for pics of my setup. No poop boards ever, been working for 2 decades.

But you have a dirt floor. I can't have a dirt floor so that's why I specifically noted "not on a dirt floor" in my post.

I don't have a poop board, but I only have 8 girls in the coop. I have a sand floor, and I just scoop up the poop once a day. No muss, no fuss, no smell, no problem.

Diana

I do not use a poop board and, for a while, I thought I should be. It seems logical in theory and if the poo is all collected in one place, it should be easy to remove and scrape into a bucket and then take to the compost pile. But the couple of times I have tried this, that theory gets all blown out of the water. A lot of the issue is my set up - I would have to line the whole bottom of my coop with thin poop boards as my roost are all at the same level. Plus the coop is fairly deep so the boards end up being fairly long and thus heavy and hard to handle. Plus the hens always seemed to poop near the end I had to hold on to in order to remove the board. And I didn't have a bucket that was wide enough to accomodate the board. Let's just say it was a huge mess and I quickly became convinced that a daily scooping of poop from the sawdust using a cat litter scoop was the quickest, easiest and least messy option for me. I have 12 hens and the daily scooping takes maybe 5 minutes and I can cleanly pick up the poop with the litter scoop and place it in the bucket and never have to touch the stuff! Plus the sawdust usually clumps around the poos so it is not as messy as scraping off a board. Having said that, when we build our new coop, I may try poop boards again because so many people speak so highly of them.

I don't have poop boards, I have a wood floor and it is covered in several inches of pine shavings. I clean the coop once a week removing all the dirty litter in one fell swoop- no scraping or hosing necessary. Works great for me
smile.png

i have a wood floor...pine shavings...had my coop since may...
and i just put in a poop board and i love it!
easy clean up and keeps the smell down in the coop...and keeps it much
cleaner!....if you can put them in your coop...i would!....

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom