1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

does anyone raise both cx and colored broilers?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Kelsey2017, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Kelsey2017

Kelsey2017 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Two Harbors, MN
    I want just make one order, I can accommodate their different needs, raise them seperately. I just don't want to butcher them all at the same time, so I thought maybe it would break up the big day a bit. CX boys first, then the cx girls, RB boys, RB girls, like that. Does that sound reasonable? Also I would have a great side-by-side comparison, as I have only done the CX before. It means I will be really sick of plucking week after week, but hey it's still better than all at once.

2. EGGTASKTIC

EGGTASKTIC Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    WESTERN PA
    I think it would be fine. I do not think your time line is accurate. I think you will be able to take a week off or do in 2 batches.
    I did a batch of reds last year and IMO they were slow. I was at about 12 weeks till I got the carcass wt I was after. The reds were not as uniform as the white cx. They are very tasty and more like a ckn than the cx.

To order one batch should be fine and start them together. I would separate at 5 to 7 days old.

3. Tiffrz-N-Kidz

Tiffrz-N-Kidz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Aledo, TX
    I am planning to get 5 of each at the end of February. We'll see.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by