Does anyone raise Java for meat?

We raised jav crosses our first time for food, at 18 weeks they were small in comparison to the freedoms we just raised at double size in 12 weeks..We werent thrilled with the taste, there wasnt much to them, the texture was weird, and we didnt love the flavor.I willl be cooking up a freedom to tonight for comparison, i will let you know.

Here is a pic of some of the Freedom Rangers processed Sept. 23 at 10 weeks old, compared to a culled Auburn Java cockerel that was 19 weeks old. The smallest FR were pullets and weight 2.56 and 3.12 lbs pictured on the upper left, the Java cockerel at 3.75 lb on the upper right and the two largest FR cockerels were 4.66 and 4.53. It was very hot in July and August and we had a processing date set so they went even though they could have used a bit more time. This particular cockerel was tall but not as blocky as the other two that were kept.
Hope this helps. Later, Mary

44049_broilers_92310.jpg

Maybe its just me but didnt i hear a few years ago that Java's were endagered? Or maybe its just pure Java's. Not hatchery versions of them.

Here is a pic of some of the Freedom Rangers processed Sept. 23 at 10 weeks old, compared to a culled Auburn Java cockerel that was 19 weeks old. The smallest FR were pullets and weight 2.56 and 3.12 lbs pictured on the upper left, the Java cockerel at 3.75 lb on the upper right and the two largest FR cockerels were 4.66 and 4.53. It was very hot in July and August and we had a processing date set so they went even though they could have used a bit more time. This particular cockerel was tall but not as blocky as the other two that were kept.
Hope this helps. Later, Mary

44049_broilers_92310.jpg

Back
Top Bottom