Does anyone raise Java for meat?

shelleyb1969

Star Bright Farm
11 Years
Jul 24, 2008
Brown City, Michigan (Thumb)
I'm trying to start up my own winter meat bird project. My attempt to hatch some WLR Cornish failed, so now I'm looking for an alternative breed to cross with my Delaware. Do Java reach a respectable butcher weight within a 20 week period?

We just got started with our Mottled Java's and are looking forward to raising more of them.
Mine grew out fast... not broiler fast of course, but fast in my opinion. We butchered one of our Java roo's at 18 weeks old and I thought he was a nice size (I wish I'd documented his size - but it was our first time and we had 14 birds to process).
I would love to hear from people that have experience growing them out for meat as well... any tips, hints, etc would be most appreciated!
I know it's hard to tell size from pics... but, I'm including some and hope they are helpful.
Here is a picture of one of my hens at 17 weeks
24088_java081010b.jpg

and one of my roos, Mr. Coffee, at 17 weeks
24088_java081010c.jpg

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGD/Java/JavaHomestead.html

Thanks for the pics hipeatall! I'm looking for a breed to cross with my Delaware to try and produce my own meat chicks. My Delawares are quite meaty in body type, so crossing them with another nice bird with good meat qualities would be great. I'm also looking into Buckeyes.

20 weeks would be so-so...I just processed one @ 32 and the weight was better than the ones I about 16. They are remarkably slow to mature. The one hen I have now is an outstanding layer.

I butchered my extra roosters at 30 weeks and they were about the size of my 8 week old cornish cross. I'm sure they'll be delicious, but won't have all the bulk as the meat hybrid.

I would like to propose a new rule, or at least make a suggestion. If someone is asking about how their meat birds will produce and in what time frame, don't compare them to the cornish x rock big broiler type variety if that's not what they have. This is like comparing a mac truck to a toyota pickup. In my opinion, the cornish x barely even qualify to be called a chicken and they aren't even a true breed. Most people who choose a heritage type chicken for meat production have made this choice to avoid raising birds like the cornish x.

Quote:
I guess its alright for you to make a comparison , but you would rather not read someone elses ? I too am trying to develope a DP chicken , but think comparison to the CX is unavoidable and welcome .
ETA : and sorry Shelley , I have no experience with Java . My hatchery quality WLR Cornish were/are such slow growers and breast meat was full on the 6 month old cockeral but certainly not worth the wait ; and not sure how the crosses will perform . The breeder quality might have worked out better for you and I'm sorry you did not get to try them .

Last edited:
Quote:
Of cource , you know that a Mack truck and a Toyota truck are both trucks... both are judged by the work that they perform. Both will haul a load of dirt, but somehow I don't think that the Toyota will haul as big a load as the Mack will.

Back
Top Bottom