Does anyone raise Marans in cold weather???

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by blueheaven, Apr 27, 2009.

1. blueheaven

blueheaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Central Indiana
    just wondering if anyone raises marans in cold weather? i have read they are not winter hardy? i live in indiana...

2. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Nebraska
    horsejody has Maran's and she's in Nebraska, also on craigslist I see maran's for sale from a lady in Iowa.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

You might have to define cold weather. We say it is freezing cold and bundle up in the winter when it's 10-20F at the lowest... and really, that's not considered cold in the chicken world as my birds choose to sleep on their run perches year round even in the "cold" weather. In our cold weather, even or leghorns with huge combs did just fine.

4. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

I have Cuckoo Marans I'm in PA and I've not had any problems.

5. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    My Copper Blacks did o.k., but the rooster got frostbite and lost his comb tips. West GA winters aren't that cold.

6. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

I breed Marans; we are in Minnesota, used to live in Indiana. The comb tips of the males are prone to frostbite other than that they are fine.

7. MaineChickens

MaineChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2008
    I had young cuckoos all last winter. We had a very cold winter- it stayed below freezing for 2 months. My coop is unheated and uninsulated. I lost some tips of a comb and wattles on my rooster, but otherwise the birds were fine.

I am in Maine. I am building a new coop this year, but it is not because the birds can't take it.

[​IMG]

I will say they stayed inside when the others would go out in the snow in their run, but they were not wimpy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by