Does anyone raise worms?

Maybe at a bait store? I have thought about doing nightcrawlers but heard they are harder. I have been thinking about grabbing some out of my garden as I turn dirt. I did redworms once and they did great until we moved and somebody put the bins out in the early spring. Ouch. I started them in peat moss and slowly started adding "stuff" to them. The goal was the rabbit barn.

I thought I start worm bin, too. I got the book "worms eat my garbage" by Mary Appelhof from local library. It was pretty good.
Just got my first chickens this year so not sure I want to start worm bin this year, but really interested.

Quote:
As I stated in my first post, the best place to find them is at your local bait and tackle, if you dont have one then try walmart in the sporting goods section they do sell them at most walmarts. I suggest large reds or night crawlers (ALSO when i said they stink, it is because we use rabbit poo in ours....it smells TRUST ME) But they thrive like you wouldnt believe in that rabbit poo.

We raised red worms when I was younger to sell to the local bait shops. What I remember is we got the plastic kiddie pools and poked holes in the bottom, then filled them with cotton burr compost, then the worms. We got the start of worms from a man that sold them by the 5 gallon bucket full. We had around 8 of them I believe. I remember my mom buying some kind of food for them at the local co-op, but don't remember what it was. I do know that too much water is NOT good, I think Mom kept them covered with something so they didn't get too hot or wet.

yes getting them too wet is bad but if they arent damp enough they will get hot and dry and they will perish. If they start coming to the top of the bin and you find none in the bottom areas then it is too damp, if they are all in the bottom then they are too hot and seeking refuge in the deeper compost.

Back
Top Bottom