Does anyone raise worms?

I just started my worm farm this year. I was really expexting it to be rather stinky and nasty inside but it hasn't been AT ALL.

The only way I can tell they are there is when I see it under the sink. They are really easy to take care of. Just throw a bit of food scraps in every once in a while and you're good to go.

Once I get enough to harvest, some will go to the raised beds and some will go to the chickens.

We bought some red wrigglers off line. Then hubby decided to go all fancy and bought the factory. We got them from uncle jims worm farm on line or something like that. The factory was rather pricey, but the worms were reasonable and the kind I wanted. I had done a lot of research and just about everything I read said to get red wrigglers so that's what I got.

I did go over board and put to much food in the factory with them and we ended up with fruit flys (ick) but that was easily taken care of.

Good luck on you wormy adventures. lol

I would put an ad out on craigslist to see if anyone has any for sale. You would be surprised at how many people have worm bins. If you go to WalMart or somewhere like that, you wont be getting enough. You would pay way more at a baitshop then trying to find someone who raises them. Ive seen people sell a pound of worms for $10-15. I recommend a book called Worms Eat My Garbage by Mary Appelhof. Its a great book! I always found myself going back to it whenever I had a question about something. If you dont want to go out and buy the book, Ive seen it at almost every library Ive been to. The book suggests starting off with two to three pounds of worms in a six cubic foot worm bin.

I would love some worms, however, 5 ducks, 4 chickens, 20 houseplants, 2 aquariums and a pond, and more coming!
smile.png
My family doesn't really appreciate it!
big_smile.png

Quote:
Your animals would love you for it! You would be surprised where you can keep worm bins. Ive seen a few people who had them unde their coffee table and another couple made their bin inside their coffee table. The top part lifted up and you would add the food, etc. When I first got worms hubby would not have them inside. He told me that they would have to go outside because they would stink up the place. Well he was at work when I put my worm bins together and they were in the house for a couple of weeks before he knew it. He caught me putting scraps in them one day. He was very surprised that they didnt stink and in fact went to work bragging about them.
lol.png
I would say go for it!

Back
Top Bottom