Does anyone ship chcicks?

horsechick

Songster
12 Years
Nov 14, 2007
Eaton, Ohio
Hi all,
Just wondered if anyone actually shipped chicks or not?
If you can get 25 from a hatchery for about $14.00 can anyone ship chicks for reasonable prices?
Wrote in another post I would buy chicks instead of eggs next time if I could find someone who had nice silkies and ships chicks.
Bought a bunch of silkie eggs from the best I could find on net, out of 50-60+ eggs ended up with 7 silkies....
Thought it might be easier and cost effective to buy chicks.
Thanks,
Angela

When you factor in the specially designed box (You) have to pay for and the shipping you would probably be better off just ordering from a hatchery like Ideal, Murry McMurry etc...

The chicks on average are about $2.00 each at the hatcherys and shipping about $8 or $9.

BTW: I assume you are talking about (Chicks) and hope there isn't something called a chciks that I haven't heard about.
wink.png

Jayare

Small breeders cannot compete with hatchery prices. In addition, many breeders have quality stock. Hatchery stock is very different from breeder quality. Showing hatchery stock may not give one very good results. If you just want egg layers, ordering from a hatchery makes sense. Buying locally might yield you cheaper prices as well. I also have never seen 25 chicks shipped for $14.

Last edited:
I think you'll find that hatcheries use Priority shipping, which has no guarantee, thus the cheaper shipping cost. Most breeders will only ship Express because their chicks are not as easily replaced and want a guaranteed service, thus the higher cost to ship for them.

Jody

Quote:
Hi,
I was just at Mcmurray hatchery site the other night, and had put together a group I wanted, actually 28 chicks in all. Shipping to me was $13.25. You can try it on their website if you like.
Take care.

Back
Top Bottom