Does anyone take their ducks out to swim?

diosa

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 23, 2014
Hey, my ducks have a small backyard plunge pool butwe have tonnes of lakes around here where I walk my dog. Could I potentially train them to go in and out of a dog crate so I could drive them somewhere for a big swim? I could even take a boat out with them. Anyone had success with this?

If they follow you and respond when you call them I don't see why not. Years ago I used to take my ducks out on the lake, I'd go in a boat and they'd follow. When they eventually started living outside they still came to me when I called.

I take Wobbles for walks - and swims - all the time! When we go to the lake or river though, I keep her on her harness. Less for her, more for any predators that may be lurking about. If a big fish or something grabs her foot or something I want to be able to pull her to safety. Yeah...totally paranoid, but she's my only house duck and I'm way overprotective.

They do pretty much anything for peas. But it would be tricky to catch them if they got spooked. Hmmm maybe next summer when we can all go out on a boat together.

What do mean?

I think they mean the fact that a pond or large pool of water could bring in more birds, even ducks that could harm or worse imprint on you ducks. Ducks are a flock n group fowl. If they see another group of ducks they might want to go with them and you might loss them.

That's way people are asking if they obey and follow you. And others have posted to leash them. If your bond is strong and you'r sure of it its all up to you weather or not your willing to have a chance of losing them.

I have a strong bond with my ducks but if something like a quad or dump truck gets near they bolt to the point they were in the neighbors yard. So I would leash them just to make sure they would be safe if I were to bring then to a pond. But my ducks are not fond of other ducks still not cool to the scovies.

Last edited:
I really doubt wild ducks would imprint on them and follow you home, or vice versa. Imprinting happens in the first day of life, and strong bonds take a while to develop. I think if you're imprinted and bonded with your ducky, it should be okay. :)

Back
Top Bottom