1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Does anyone take their ducks out to swim?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by diosa, Sep 14, 2014.

1. diosa

diosa Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2014
    Hey, my ducks have a small backyard plunge pool butwe have tonnes of lakes around here where I walk my dog. Could I potentially train them to go in and out of a dog crate so I could drive them somewhere for a big swim? I could even take a boat out with them. Anyone had success with this?

2. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

I would be afraid I wouldn't be able to catch them to take them back home.

3. enriquec

enriquec Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2014
    North Florida
    If they follow you and respond when you call them I don't see why not. Years ago I used to take my ducks out on the lake, I'd go in a boat and they'd follow. When they eventually started living outside they still came to me when I called.

4. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    I take Wobbles for walks - and swims - all the time! When we go to the lake or river though, I keep her on her harness. Less for her, more for any predators that may be lurking about. If a big fish or something grabs her foot or something I want to be able to pull her to safety. Yeah...totally paranoid, but she's my only house duck and I'm way overprotective.

5. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    No, to me that is a bio security nightmare. That is why i am glad i don't have a pond to attract wild birds.

6. diosa

diosa Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2014
    They do pretty much anything for peas. But it would be tricky to catch them if they got spooked. Hmmm maybe next summer when we can all go out on a boat together.

7. enriquec

enriquec Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2014
    North Florida
    What do mean?

8. DemonicFowl

DemonicFowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2014
    South Eastern Mass

I think they mean the fact that a pond or large pool of water could bring in more birds, even ducks that could harm or worse imprint on you ducks. Ducks are a flock n group fowl. If they see another group of ducks they might want to go with them and you might loss them.

That's way people are asking if they obey and follow you. And others have posted to leash them. If your bond is strong and you'r sure of it its all up to you weather or not your willing to have a chance of losing them.

I have a strong bond with my ducks but if something like a quad or dump truck gets near they bolt to the point they were in the neighbors yard. So I would leash them just to make sure they would be safe if I were to bring then to a pond. But my ducks are not fond of other ducks still not cool to the scovies.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
  9. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    I really doubt wild ducks would imprint on them and follow you home, or vice versa. Imprinting happens in the first day of life, and strong bonds take a while to develop. I think if you're imprinted and bonded with your ducky, it should be okay. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by