Does Anyone Trim Beaks?

I trim my crossbeak's beak. On any of my other chickens, I'll only do it if it is necessary. Can you post a picture of their beaks? It might not be necessary to do them again. If they do need it, they might need more places to wipe their beak on. Try putting bricks around their feeder or waterer. They'll wipe their beaks off on those which will help keep their beaks down.

When I picked up my two Brahmas the breeder trimmed their beaks. I have never done this. Do you trim beaks?
There are two main reasons for trimming beaks.

One reason is if the beak grows too long. For this kind of trimming, the goal is a normal-shaped beak that is not as long as it was before. This is commonly needed for chickens with crossbeak, and occasionally for some other chickens. Chickens with normal-shaped beaks will usually keep their beak worn down by wiping it on things, but if the chicken does not do this, they may need it trimmed a bit. I have done this a few times when I had a chicken that seemed to need it.

The other reason for trimming beaks is to prevent chickens hurting each other. For this kind of trimming, the goal is a beak with a flat or rounded end, usually with the upper beak shorter than the lower one. This means the chicken has no pointy tip to hurt other chickens, and cannot grab things between the tips of the upper and lower beaks because they are different lengths. This is most common in places that keep large numbers of chickens for commercial production of eggs. People with pet chickens are more likely to avoid problems by having fewer total chickens, providing more space per chicken, giving them other interesting things to peck, and so on, rather than trimming the beaks as the main "cure" for pecking.

When I picked up my two Brahmas the breeder trimmed their beaks. I have never done this. Do you trim beaks?
There is no reason to trim beaks unless the beak has grown in a way that prevents birds from picking up food. If the upper mandible gets too long, it can make it difficult to pick up small seeds, crumbles, roots, etc... Old birds don't use their beaks like younger birds and will need a trim occasionally since the beaks aren't wearing down as fast. Cross Beaks occasionally need to have beaks trimmed, however they are tricky to trim down so you might need an experience avian vet to do this if you have never done it before.

Factory farmed birds will have beaks trimmed far back however this to me is a cruel procedure and should never be done on backyard chickens. If birds are pecking each other, give them more room, reduce the amount of birds kept or even use pinless peepers on them. Most birds will naturally wear down their beaks and claws while free ranging, dust bathing, or simply wiping their beaks after eating, no need to trim younger birds beaks.

Okay, now this makes sense. The birds were kept in a coop. They had access to a little yard part of the day, maybe 8 x 8. I don't think they had anything to rub their beaks on. They were on deep wood shavings. My chickens are out and about so there are numerous things to rub their beaks on, including the pavers of my porches.

Brahmas are docile and not prone to picking on each other.

Thanks.

If the upper mandible gets too long, it can make it difficult to pick up small seeds, crumbles, roots, etc... Old birds don't use their beaks like younger birds and will need a trim occasionally since the beaks aren't wearing down as fast.
Yes, my old boy gets a long upper beak and it seems to make fine preening and foraging difficult. He gets a tiny little trim now and again to get back to normal, about the same time as I blunt his spurs. Neither of us likes doing it but it clearly helps him out.

Back
Top Bottom