Does anyone use big bowls for waterers?

I use a coffee can . If it gets to bad I just toss it and get another large can. Plus the dogs have a big plastic bucket for water that they drink out of.

I use bowls for adults, too. We use chick waters until they grow up, since chicks are susceptible to drowning. For large flocks in the winter, we use a big gravity fed metal waterer. This provides a larger volume of water and we can use a heated base.

For everything else, we use bowls. For just a few chickens, we use a heated dog bowl in winter. Bowls are so much easier when we have chickens in a tractor. We live on the side of a hill and with a bowl, there's no leveling to worry about. A gravity fed waterer on uneven ground can drain quickly, leaving the chickens without water.

In the warmer months, I like having water in more than one place out in the yard. I think it keeps the chickens hydrated better. They don't have to go all the way back to the coop, just to get a drink. It's so easy to just add an extra bowl or two out there. They share with the dogs, too.

The best thing about bowls is how easy they are to clean!
thumbsup.gif

I'm thinking about getting a couple of small pails this year, to use for water. Like those short ones that are only a couple of gallons.

Back
Top Bottom