Does anyone use dogs to hunt anymore?

fowltemptress

Frugal Fan Club President
Premium Feather Member
16 Years
Jan 20, 2008
Nope
It seems like everyone just grabs a gun and goes to a blind now, without a willing and eager four legged friend at their side. The people I know now with sporting dogs just teach them to fetch sticks and leave it at that. I know the people are out there, I just don't see them anymore. I'd love stories or pictures (hint hint
smile.png
).

My mom used to have lovely springer spaniels she'd train to "hunt 'em up," but she doesn't hunt like she used to and her dogs are strictly pets now. For some reason my mother decided to raise me on a different type of dog, so I never got into the bird dogs like she did. On my second birthday I got a cairn terrier, so I've grown up sending my dogs to go to ground. I've gotten my SO hooked on terriers, and I taught him to train the scottie I bought him, but he prefers the kind of hunting that involves calls and lures to bring in predators . . . not much room for a terrier in that situation
tongue.png

We had an Irish Setter that was such a good hunter, you hardly even had to fire the gun!!! It was all instinct for her. You went out to hunt rabbits, she would point, then before you could aim, she was off like a shot. About 30 seconds later, she was at your feet wagging her tail like mad as she dropped a rabbit at your feet.

Our lab ,RUBY, doesn't know that she's a hunting dog(or she's just stupid) she plays with our duck.Sometimes she puts her paw on the duck and holds her under water till we yell for her to stop.The duck is so lonely since her mate died, she 's taken a liking to RUBY.It is so weird to see them play.I'm afraid sometime when we're not around,Ruby will get too rough with the duck. , Then,bye,bye,duckie....

d8dfb3a7.jpg

bcd50b09.jpg

[
320c122b.jpg

Last edited:
A lot of people in my area use hunting dogs. My neighbor has a chocolate lab that she takes hunting all the time. I have a bloodhound, and I am hoping to get her trained up a bit better by next fall.

my uncle uses beagles for rabbits and small game. My beagle came from the SPCA, the guy who had her hunts and he said she would go out but not bring it back. We dont care, we just love her. And allow her to chase cats off the property
wink.png

Not a pic i am posting but what i would like to get is a red bone hound. Been wanting to get a coon hound for awhile but man are the good ones expensive. That and my lab mix is scared of gunfire.

Last edited:
can you hear me now? :

Not a pic i am posting but what i would like to get is a red bone hound. Been wanting to get a coon hound for awhile but man are the good ones expensive. That and my lab mix is scared of gunfire.

Yea, we used to have black and tan coonhounds. Nothing like being in the woods at night and listening to them bawl. I miss them, but just didn't have time to run them anymore.​

Weimaraners, Long hair and short haired, bred to hunt and learn:
Sept08mybirds002.jpg

Boris and Sprig Duck at Nook

My short hair weim, Bully retrieved this Sprig Duck for this guy who shot it over a lagoon and had no way to get it back once it was down:
Picture006.jpg

Boris' dam and I when I went to The Netherlands to pick him up, he was 10 weeks old then:
IMG_4107.jpg

Boris also retrieves salmon once its caught rod n reel:
05_16_07_0336.jpg

Boris' elder half sister and dam:
IMG_4246.jpg

When Boris isn't working on a moose bone:
09-11-07_1409.jpg

He's still learning:
01-13-08_1330.jpg

In this case it was agility...

Last edited:

Back