Does anyone's chicken sound like a duck?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 4chickns, Oct 5, 2009.

1. 4chickns

4chickns Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2009
    New Jersey
    My 5 month old silkie makes distressed duck noises sometimes, usually when he/she can hear me but can't see me. It is the silliest chicken noise I've heard. Does anyone else's chicken sound like a duck? Is this normal? (Not that this chicken is anywhere near normal [​IMG]) Thanks

2. WalkingWolf

WalkingWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    When my hens are getting chased by the bigger roosters they call out "HELP, HELP" I am not kidding it sounds just like a child screaming help.

3. 4chickns

4chickns Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2009
    New Jersey
    That is so funny! I can't believe some of the noises that come out of a chicken.

4. MIKE555444

MIKE555444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Pliny, West Virgina
    Hmm is your pullet going Broody?

5. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    I have 2 Creve Coeur hens that make a quacking sound. They actually sound like they are imitating Burgess Meredith when he played The Penguin on the old Batman show.

6. Amyable

Amyable Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Greenleaf, WI
    Uhh, I have a cat that sounds like a duck...[​IMG]

7. briana1975

briana1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    I had a pullet that sounded like a duck. After she matured she grew out of it.

8. kikster

kikster Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2009
    My Buff orp, and my bantam cochin do that. If they hear us walking around the outside of the pen (wood, 6 ft high, fence). They start "quacking" at us. They'll also do it whenever they are bored, because they want to come out of their pen and go to the "greener pastures" that they know are just outside their little area. Because we've let them out on occasion. They now feel it is their duty to inform us that what they have is not enough, so they stand at the gate door and fuss. [​IMG] Spoiled brats. It's only those two that do it, because they're the only ones that have been allowed out, lol. The rest of the flock are quite content with their pen, and don't know what all the fuss is about.

It's funny, I always thought I was the only one who felt that it was a duck like sound. I always tell my hubby, that I'm sure all the neighbors think we have ducks [​IMG]

9. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    That's funny you should say that.

We have one hen that makes the weirdest noise when she is grooming her chest feathers. It's a gurgle/quack. It cracks us up all the time. And she's the only one that does it.

10. GreenGoddess

GreenGoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    St Pauls, NC
    My 6 month old roo sounds like a honking goose if I am cleaning the coop out and kick the dust up (dirt floor)... The first time i heard it, I though something was wrong until i realized what he was doing.. Now i just laugh.. Also, yesterday I had kept one of the hens out with me after I let them free range a bit and let the neighbor meet her... When I put her back in the coop about 20 minutes later, of course the roo started chasing her all over the place and I could swear she was screaming "Help! Help!".. Glad to know I am not the one one who has heard this.. It broke my heart but I know he was just doing what roos do and not really hurting her..

Goddess [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by